Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

cpu upgrade problem

• Please log in to reply

physter

physter

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi,

I've been trying to upgrade my PC so I can run Battlefield 2. It's got a Gigabyte GA-8IDX motherboard with 768Mb RAM and a PNY GeForce 6200 graphics card (upgraded feom Ti4200). It did have a P4 1.8GHz CPU but I've just replaced that with a P4 Celeron 2.6GHz.

The trouble is that the PC actually seems to run slower with the new CPU, I'm getting a lower frame rate than with the 1.8GHz chip. I've tried flashing the BIOS with the latest version but it hasn't made any difference.

According to the Gigabyte support website the board should support up to 2.8GHz and this particular chip is supported. Any idea where I'm going wrong?

Thanks.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi physter!

Celeron is the cheaper version of the P4 and therefore it is very possible that a 2.6GHz Celeron could make your computer perform slower then a 1.8GHz P4. From what I know from experience and from what I have read, a 2.6GHz Celeron is equivalent to about a 1.3GHz P4.

Fenor