Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Firewall/Auto Updates/Virus Protection

• Please log in to reply

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
I ran Microsoft Windows XP Critical Update this p.m.. However I have something you could help me with.

After all was done I had a screen which indicated that "Firewall,Auto Updates" and Virus Protection should be turned on. Now after this was finished I tried to open up Yahoo Instant Messenger and I received dialogue box asking me if I should unblock this program. Is this normal and do I have to go through this all the time with other prorams, or is there a way I can turn off the Firewall and Virus Protection as I have independent anti-virus program and anti-spy programs.

Regards

Waynef

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
that is normal for the windows firewall....you can turn it off by going to start > settings > control pannel.....then there should be a thing about the firewall in there....if you don't see it....you m ay need to switch your control panel to classic view

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
Indeed I have icons on Control Panel for Firewall, Automatic Updates and Anti-Virus. They were not there until I did the update. However is this update Services Pak 2 a good thing to remove? Also when the installation was finished I was advised that there would be performance problems with this update. I noticed that in "Add/Remove" section of Conrol Panel there is a method of removing the update. So do I keep it or do I remove it. What is advisable?

Regards

Waynf

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
service pack two is very important for windows security... the performance issues that it warned about involved some older software that didn't like service pack 2...but most software now is compatible with the service pack..i would suggest not removing the service pack.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
Thanks for info regarding Microsoft Update Service Pak 2. One more thing. When I turn on computer now, the Windows logo and advetisement reads "Windows XP". It used to read "Windows XP Professional. Is this a problem? Is this an indication that I have the wrong update. If I go Control Panel>System it under General heading it reads Windows XP Professional. Do I need to do a System File Checker now.

Regards

Waynf

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
you can if you would like to do so...but it's not an issue for it to just say windows xp during boot...as long as inside the os it knows what version it is