Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Major problem with booting Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

Flipperbw

Flipperbw

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Ok so, here's the deal. I cannot start Windows on my main hard disk ©. Everytime I try to startup, it gets past the little "Windows" screen with the blue bar that passes back and forth, but when it should go to the logon prompt, BAM. Two milliseconds of a bluescreen error, then it starts back up again from scratch. Over and over and over.

Here's all the background information. Sounds a bit like a soap opera, but here it goes anyway.

I have two harddrives. I accidently installed Windows on the second one a while back, but I'm thankful for that now, because I'm using that very extra harddrive to type. Which means that C:/ is the one which is messed up, since I'm on the other one (apparently D: now).

Now, I really want C back. I don't want to backup ALL my files and programs, and reinstal windows, which I technically could. But that would take forever; I have tons of things I want to save.

Here's what caused the problem: About a week ago, I didn't have my antivirus on. I disabled it for the morning for some reason. Later that day, another user of my home computer went onto America Online, and apparently downloaded that new WMF virus trojan thing, because when I got home, there were some crazy icons on the start menu, and I couldn't view ANY pictures or thumbnails.

So I was mad.

So, I went onto the symantec website:
http://www.symantec....atiloler.b.html

I checked it out, and saw that I had all the symptons. So I went to remove it. Biggest mistake all year.

The directions say to remove userinit.exe, which I've learned more about in the last 24 hours than I ever cared to know. Apparently it deals with the logon. I was in the Recovery Console, and typed "del userinit.exe". It worked fine. But now Symantec told me to copy userinit.exe from the "system" directory. But it said "file not found!" no matter what I did, i was either "access denied" or "file not found." So i was getting mad, and worried. I tried just booting, but it would get to the logon screen, try to login, then logout. Rinse, lather, repeat.

So I got a brilliant idea. I would takethe userinit.exe file from my SECOND harddrive, and manually copy it to the first, in C>Windows>System32. I did that. But for some reason, I also ran a Repair Install from the Windows CD. I thought they would both work. I was wrong.

Basically, now, whenever I try to boot, the Splash screen shows, and then I get the error message. I managed to disable automatic restarts, so now the message reads:
--------
A Problem has been detected...blah blah.
Process1_initilization_failed

STOP 0x0000006b (0xC000007A, 0x00000008, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
----------

Yeah. Looked it up on google, no real help. Now, when Windows tries to load up, the bar is GREEN, meaning I don't have SP2 anymore.

I am running SP2 on the second harddrive, WINXP Home, which was what I was doing on the other as well.

I should probably mention that I was using a program called TuneUp 2006 to tweak windows, and there was an option to change the logon screens, which I did. Basically, it just made a skin, like a pretty little nature thing when you'd logon. But I also skinned the splash screen with the bar, and that still shows up.

Please help. I've tried everything. I tried fixboot, I tried repair install. I am scared to try fixmbr because it said that the Major Boot Sector had an irregular or invalid boot sequence or something to that effect, and that I might lose all my data. Should I backup files and try this? Or some other idea? It seems so simple to fix, I just can't do it!

Thanks in advance guys.

Edit: I should probably mention that I ran multiple virus and trojan scans after the fact. I removed some stuff, but I don't think they were direcetly related to Satiloler.

Edited by Flipperbw, 09 January 2006 - 06:49 PM.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Flipperbw!

One thing I suggest you do is to boot into Safe Mode (Tap F8 while booting up until you get the screen allowing you to boot into safe mode). Log in as the ADMINISTRATOR. Once there, go to START-->CONTROL PANEL. Double-click on USER ACCOUNTS. Click on CREATE NEW ACCOUNT. Call the new account TEST and DON'T PUT a password on it and also make it a COMPTUER ADMINISTRATOR and not a limited account. Then reboot the computer and load windows normally. Choose the new account TEST and see if you are able to log in.

Fenor

Flipperbw

Flipperbw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks Fenor, but I should've mentioned that I've tried booting into safe mode on the infected disk. Doesn't work. It basically shows many, many lines of something about multi disk partition, and never actually loads. It begins the restart process over again.

Did you mean safe mode on the additional harddrive? Or the old one?

Edited by Flipperbw, 09 January 2006 - 08:39 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Boot into safe mode on the version of Windows that is having the problem.

Fenor

Flipperbw

Flipperbw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Safe mode on the infected volume does not work. It just restarts the computer after trying to execute a bunch of codes.

Should I try fixmbr?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
No,

Have you tried searching for USERINIT.EXE on C: from the working partition D: ?

If so, how many are present? What version is it (right click file, choose properties? What size. You should have atleast one other version in a c:\windows\servicepackfiles (or something like that)

Flipperbw

Flipperbw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
There's one in windows/system32/userinit.exe, but I copied that from the good install, on D. If I hadn't copied, there'd be none. I tried the repair install, which removed all service pack upgrades and files.

I'm seriously thinking that one of my programs is causing the trouble. Liek I mentioned, I skinned the logon screen back in the day, and now I'm thinking that might be causing trouble. Should I just suck it up and reinstall windows?

Edited by Flipperbw, 10 January 2006 - 12:31 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
If you have non-matching userinit.exe files, it will cause you no end of grief.

That said, it almost sounds like a corrupted setup..when you ran the repair, did it complete.
STOP 0x0000006b

is normally associated with first time installs.

Flipperbw

Flipperbw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
no it did not complete....I got that error upon repair restart:(

Flipperbw

Flipperbw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I'm just going to backup my files and reinstall. Thanks guys.

cindy31

cindy31

• Pip
  • 2 posts
OH MY GODNESS I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM BUT I MADE THE MISTAKE OF FIXMBR AND THAT MESSED IT UP I CAANT EVEN THE WINDOWS BLUE THING TO COME UO KNOW IT SAYS MISSING NTLDR IF YOU FIXED YOUR PC I WOULD APPRICATE IF YOU CAN HELP ME WITH MINE AND WHAT FIXED IT THANKS