Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Network Problem

• Please log in to reply

Penguin957

Penguin957

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I'm having a problem with the wireless connection. I use a Linksys wireless router and I have 1-2 ethernet connections and 1-2 wireless connections on it. One of the wireless connections work but my laptop does not pick up the signal. About 2 months ago it was fine with the wireless setup but I disabled the wireless on my laptop because it was annoying me at college because there were 3 or 4 secure connection that would flash at me ever other minute. I tried to re-enable it when I got back home but now it doesn't detect any wireless connections while all my other computers are fine with wireless connection. I tried reinstalling the driver and I've tried a few other things but I was wondering if anyone could help me figure it out.

(I'm using ethernet with the laptop at the moment)

Advertisements

kate22in

kate22in

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
what's the message you get when you scan for your wireless network?Does it say windows cannot configure the wireless setting ?

Penguin957

Penguin957

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
When I refresh my network list it says "No wireless networks were found in range. Make sure the wireless switch on your computer is on. To see an updated list click, Refresh network list"

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi Penguin957,

"No wireless networks were found in range. Make sure the wireless switch on your computer is on. To see an updated list click, Refresh network list"

Did you make sure the wireless switch on your computer was on? :tazz:

You say you tried to reinstall the driver; which driver are you referring to?

Have you tried powercycling your router? You'd be surprised how often this helps in the most unexpected situations.

Could you please also run this test:
Test your Network
1. Goto Start, Run, type: NETSH DIAG GUI - press 'OK'. A Command Prompt window will open temporarily; don't touch it, it will disappear in a moment.
2. A Microsoft Help and Support window will then open; select the option 'Scan your system'.
3. Wait for the scan to finish and then scroll down to the heading 'Modems and Network Adapters'. Look at 'Network Adapters' (don't expand it yet). Beside your connection information, you should see a green 'PASSED'; if you do not (if you see a red 'FAILED') then expand 'Network Adapters', scroll down the list until you see the heading with the 'FAILED', expand that option and copy and paste the results here.
In the NETSH DIAG GUI, you should be looking for any red 'FAILED', however the key one is Network Adapters for you. If you see any other red FAILED, expand the component and copy the results.

Thanks,
Dan.

Penguin957

Penguin957

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I've tried and retried powercycling and I know that I never turned any switch off considering its inside my computer and i never even saw a switch lol.

I did the NETSH DIAG GUI and it said Network Adapters Passed but under the listed network adapters it didnt say anything beside the Wireless Adapter and it said Passed next to the ethernet adapter. Here are the results anyway:

Caption = [00000010] Wireless-G PCI Adapter
DatabasePath = %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc
Description = Broadcom 802.11g Network Adapter - Packet Scheduler Miniport
DHCPEnabled = TRUE
DNSEnabledForWINSResolution = FALSE
DNSHostName = pengseth
DomainDNSRegistrationEnabled = FALSE
FullDNSRegistrationEnabled = TRUE
Index = 10
IPConnectionMetric = 1
IPEnabled = TRUE
IPFilterSecurityEnabled = FALSE
IPSecPermitIPProtocols = 0
IPSecPermitTCPPorts = 0
IPSecPermitUDPPorts = 0
IPXEnabled = FALSE
MACAddress = 00:90:4B:D3:DC:23
ServiceName = BCM43XX
SettingID = {B3EE8E62-0245-4153-8730-A2BD525893D6}
TcpipNetbiosOptions = 0
TcpMaxDataRetransmissions = 5
WINSEnableLMHostsLookup = TRUE

kate22in

kate22in

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi,

Please check if the wireless switch is turned on in your laptop.some laptops do have an external switch on the sides of the laptop to turn it on.Or else try pressing the Function key & F2 or function key & F5 simultaneously.Then check if any wireless symbol is lit on any key.If everything seems to be fine regarding the switch then you need to logon to router and try changing the channel.

Penguin957

Penguin957

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I pressed the function and F2 key and it says The radio on your 802.11 network adapter is still disabled. USe the raadio control in the wireless network utility to enable it.

I've taken my computer to other wireless routers at my friends house and no signal there either

Edited by Penguin957, 10 January 2006 - 11:57 AM.

kate22in

kate22in

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
In that case please do contact your card manufacturer i mean your laptop vendor and enable the wireless radio.Only then it will detect the wireless network from the router.

Penguin957

Penguin957

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Problem was resolved by the Gateway support. The driver that they had listed before was corrupt evidently and I had to download another one and it works fine now. Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it.