Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to Clean Registry on XP operating system

• Please log in to reply

Agentx2

Agentx2

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
is there a free version of this program? or can i find it somewhere on the pc? (temperture and etc:)

Advertisements

judelle

judelle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
It's called SpeedFan and it is in Fenor's (Geeks to Go Tech Staff) signature as a clickable download. It measures temperature and there was no fee to use it. I never did get a recommendation about a registry cleaner, if that is what you are looking for.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I wonder what would CPU usage on this computer. Press alt+control+delete. This will open the task manager. Click performance and see what CPU usage is when all applications are closed.

judelle

judelle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
With all applications closed it bounces between 0% and 1%

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
That's very good. I would recommend that you download from here:

http://oca.microsoft.../en/windiag.asp

This is a small Microsoft program that checks the computer's memory. Run it and see if there are any problems on this side.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you could cut a hole in the side of the case (or two holes) and put an extra case fan there...it will be a little odd looking...but would help the thermal issues..... i'm not familiar with the case architecture of your machine..but there are also pci card slot fans that might help move some air around in their...they just plug in to an available PCI slot

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
What we are trying to do is to make sure that the computer is free of hardware problems. Overheating of the cpu can cause it to throttle back and reduce performance considerably to avoid damage to the CPU. Enter BIOS, look in "Computer Health" or "Hardware Monitor" or whatever it is called in your BIOS and report CPU and HDD temperatures. If temperatures are normal and memory test shows no problem and your HD is not too full I would do the following:

1: Download, install and run CCleaner. Run the Cleaner and Scan for registry Issues. Backup before deleting.
2: Run checkdisk (start > run > chkdsk /f /r). It will take sometime but let it run.
3: Defrag your HD (start > programs > accessories > system tools > disk defragmenter).

If all this doesn't help run a repair installation of XP

judelle

judelle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I cannot figure out how to determine CPU and HDD temperatures in Windows XP Computer Health. Also, cannot figure out where to do a memory test. Can anyone tell me how to do these things?

I just ran SpeedFan and the HDD was a 50C with a flame icon showing next to it. I assume that means it is too hot. I'd like to be able to run a windows diagnostic that would give CPU and HDD temperatures as well as test memory.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
There are a number of ways to see the tempreatures. One is by SpeedSan. This one didn't work for the cpu for some reason. It is possible that the sensor is faulty. In this case nothing will help because all methods use the same sensors. I suggest that you try another method just to make sure. To find out cpu and HDD temperatures in the BIOS restart the computer and as soon as you see any writing on the screen start tapping DEL or F2 or whatever key should be tapped to enter Setup (you should see it written on the screen) . When the setup menu opens look in one of thes ub- menus for cpu and HDD temperatures. Normally you can also see in this menu cpu fan speed, system voltages etc. Evey BIOS has it in a different location so keep searching.

To test the memory download mtinst.exe from the microsoft link that I wrote in a previos post. Run it and create a bootable floppy disk or CD. Restart the computer with the floppy inserted. This will load and run the program.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Regarding memory test: Please make sure that boot sequence of your computer starts with floopy disk if you prepared a bootable floppy or with CDROM if you made a bootable CD. You set the boot sequence in the BIOS.

Run the test for at least half an hour and notice the number of errors (if any) at the bottom of the screen.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

If all this doesn't help run a repair installation of XP

Please do not attempt to run a repair installation of windows at this time because it is not needed. We have already pinpointed your problem. Wait until after you are able to get a hold of your more tech savvy friend to help you get the hard drive out of the case.

What dsenette suggested is a good one. Cutting a hole on the side panel directly where the hard drive is located and then inserting a fan that would blow air directly onto it would help alot. It would look odd, but who cares about appearances. I'd rather have the ugliest computer case on the planet, but have my computer running at its best then have a very attractive case with a computer that runs like it's 4 years old.

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

There are a number of ways to see the tempreatures. One is by SpeedSan. This one didn't work for the cpu for some reason. It is possible that the sensor is faulty. In this case nothing will help because all methods use the same sensors. I suggest that you try another method just to make sure. To find out cpu and HDD temperatures in the BIOS restart the computer and as soon as you see any writing on the screen start tapping DEL or F2 or whatever key should be tapped to enter Setup (you should see it written on the screen) . When the setup menu opens look in one of thes ub- menus for cpu and HDD temperatures. Normally you can also see in this menu cpu fan speed, system voltages etc. Evey BIOS has it in a different location so keep searching.

Not every BIOS has a location that shows PC HEALTH information. Most modern boards do but the one's that are in prebuilt computers, like Dell's, Gateway's, etc... most of the time do not, even if the computer is a brand new one purchased from them.

The fact that the CPU temperature isn't shown in Speedfan doesn't mean the sensor is faulty. It means the motherboard isn't supported by Speedfan. If the sensor is actually faulty then it would still list the cpu in the list as TEMP1, TEMP2 or TEMP3, but would show ?? for the temperature itself.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 12 January 2006 - 06:32 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Hi, fenor.

I am afraid that I fail to understand how you reach such conclusions at this preliminary stage of testing the computer. We know that it worked well beforehand, therefore there is nothing inherently wrong related to it's design. All we have is data which could be easily the result of an inaccurate sensor, showing somewhat high temp reading of the HDD, and nothing else, not even cpu temp. Please note that when the side cover was removed the temperature dropped only 1 degree, so maybe it's not a ventilation problem after all?

Why not try looking at the temperatures in the BIOS? It is possible that the reading is not available but why not try something so easy to perform? The vast majority of the computers sold where I live are not brand names and almost all of them, even P3, has temperature readings in the BIOS.

I suggested a number of preliminary steps, all of them easy to perform, none irreversible like cutting a hole in a computer that worked well beforehand. There are so many potential causes for the slowdown of the computer and so many easy to perform tests to be made before such a drastic action is taken, so why not try them first?

Kind Regards / Ami Yogev

judelle

judelle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Maybe I wasn't real clear on the temperature data.

Immediately upon removing the cover, the temperature dropped 1 degree.
It further dropped an additional 5 degrees making the total drop 6 degrees.
I tested again using SpeedFan:
With cover on: HDO: 49C-50C
With cover off: HDO: 44C

I tried to get temperature reading from the BIOS. Not Available. I called Dell (PC is a 5100C) and they said they would overnight me a diagnostics CD to try to determine temperature reading.

For now I am leaving cover off until I can get more info regarding temperature and possibility of installing additional fan within case. Haven't drilled any holes ... yet.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Please note that when the side cover was removed the temperature dropped only 1 degree, so maybe it's not a ventilation problem after all?

well...in a properly constructed case....removing the side cover actually makes the ventilation architecture worse....properly designed cases with optimized airflow designs relly on a rellatively sealed design...which allows the internal fans to force air to where it wants the air..from where it wants the air...so...a non-substantial drop in temps due to opening the case...well...it's not indicative of anything...