Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows vs. linux

• Please log in to reply

t-man

t-man

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
I am trying to find the differences between windows and linux, does anyone know any?
thanks,
t-man

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
There are a lot of differences, but the basic concepts are the same, kind of like a Yugo and a BMW.

Based on my experience, papers I have seen and other things, Linux is much more secure, stable and better designed. It is easier to keep the OS separate from third party programs, user programs, etc.

Perhaps a question would be is why do you ask and what do you want to do?

t-man

t-man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
Basicly I would like to know the ups and downs of both windows and linux so that I know which would be a better buy. Also can you have windows and linux running on the same computer so that when you startup you can decide which you would like to run?

Thanks,
T-Man

Iron-Wolf

Iron-Wolf

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

I am trying to find the differences between windows and linux, does anyone know any?
thanks,
t-man

We do NOT discuss hacking on this site :tazz:

Edited by Kat, 12 January 2006 - 06:38 PM.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Since Linux is free, it is a better "buy". The ups and downs can be long. With Windoze you really need to learn about spyware, malware, viruses, etc. There are other things to learn with Linux.

Yes, you can multi-boot the machine (most just have two, but you can have more than that). Grub, boot loader, brings up a menu and you can select what you want. There is a timeout period so if you don't select something else it will boot the default.

Guest_Falu_*

Guest_Falu_*
With Google you can find anything you want to know about Linux in a few minutes. Anything is out there and for free.

HP Learning Center offers online courses for Linux and there are more doing that.

Have a nice Google! :tazz:

Edited by Falu, 11 January 2006 - 07:45 AM.