Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't get computer to do anything!

• Please log in to reply

GailGail

GailGail

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello GTG, I am trying to help a friend of mine. Her computer won't do anything. She said her start bar disappeared on her, and when I went to help her I pulled it back up from the bottom of the screen. When I did it was full of all her icons she had on her desktop. When I click on those icons or the ones on her desktop nothing happens. I can click on start and pull up her quick launch but when I click on anything there, the only window I can open is Control Panel, and All Programs, but other than that, nothing. I can't even open her Help Menu. What should I do for her? I can't even get her online to access your website from that computer? I first just tried to reboot, but before it would shut down, there were several programs that had to end because they were not responding. She just installed McAfee and hadn't any problems until then. I tried to uninstall McAfee from Add/Remove Programs, but again no response. I can go through all the steps to remove it, but as soon as I click on Remove, nothing happens, the computer just hangs there. One more problem I encounterd while trying to reboot. When it gets to Saving Your Settings, right before the shut down, the computer hangs there as well. I had to manually turn it off. Any suggestions? Thanks bunches, Gail Gail

Advertisements

Fusion_Inc

Fusion_Inc

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
Probably a virus, go to the -Malware Removal- forum and post a Hijacklog

GailGail

GailGail

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I am contacting you from my computer, which at the moment is o.k. The problem we are having is on my friends computer, {which is at another location}. I am to return there in the morning to work on this problem, but I can't access this site from that computer. I can't access the internet at all. How can I run the HijackThis log from that computer? I am really at a standstill with this. When I am on her computer, I can't access much of anything.....Windows' windows will open, but nothing will respond. It is like the computer doesn't recgonize any commands. I am very new at all this myself, so I apoligize in advance for the illiterate response's. Thanks bunches! GailGail