Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing new drive

• Please log in to reply

plehsdeen

plehsdeen

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
Should I switch the BIOs before or after I install the slave and set the main drive to master?

Advertisements

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Most newer computers (1998+) will automatial detect and configure the BIOS it self. You do need to set the primary harddrive(the one installed now) to master, and the new harddrive that you are putting in to slave. When you boot the computer and get in to Windows you need to format the harddrive that was just installed. Hope that this helps

techgoddess_baby

techgoddess_baby

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Each hard drive has a set of jumpers on the back of it usually set to cable select meaning you do not have to change these settings and as long as you make sure that the DATA cable is hooked up correctly the computer will automatically read the new hard drive. If for some reason it doesn't detect the slave drive then go into the SYSTEM SET-UP screen and clear NVRAM and SET IT TO FACTORY DEFAULTS. Let me know if this works.