Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

sympatico - isp from canada

• Please log in to reply

Kathy55

Kathy55

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi -- I have a client who lives in FL in the winter and in Canada in the summer. She bought a laptop to keep in FL so she can check her e-mail, etc. Now the problem. We connected her to the internet via one of the less expensive ISPs. We got to the website of sympatico.ca, signed into her e-mail box and all the e-mail was listed. When we clicked on one of the e-mails to read it, the session timed out. The internet connection remained in tact but the e-mail session for sympatico.ca timed out and she is unable to read her e-mail. She was able to delete any junk mail but the e-mails that she wanted to keep couldn't be read with the session timing out.

We called sympatico in Canada and the tech said that he thought it was the US connection. We attempted to load and sign on thru another provider and the same problem occurred.

Any ideas????? We need some help.

Advertisements

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Hit Kathy welcome to Geeks To Go!!!!
first suggestion is a little bit of triage, have your client use www.mail2web.com for now untill we get this problem fixed.
second, have you contacted the isp? its is just futile for use to try to help you if we dont know how the isp's email checking works. not trying to duck the question its just i whould try to go to the source and then come to us.

Leroy Lim

Leroy Lim

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I think it is a problem with the Internet Service Provider. Maybe try asking the Internet Service Provider for help first then tell us what your Internet Service Provider says.

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

I think it is a problem with the Internet Service Provider. Maybe try asking the Internet Service Provider for help first then tell us what your Internet Service Provider says.

already stated above

Kathy55

Kathy55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
In my original post, I explained "We called sympatico in Canada and the tech said that he thought it was the US connection. We attempted to load and sign on thru another provider and the same problem occurred."

Just to be a bit more specific, I spoke to a tech for the Canada ISP. He WAS able to sign on to the e-mail AND open the e-mails. I can only sign on to the web page, I can even delete unwanted e-mails, but as soon as I attempt to open one the session times out. The tech in Canada said it was a problem with "my connection."

I dial up obviously thru the ISP, but then I use IE to get to the web page. The connection remains in tact.... it's the Canada ISP that times out.

Very weird . . . but I'm open for suggestions.

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
who is your local isp?

Kathy55

Kathy55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
The local ISP right now is Wal-mart Connect. When Canada told me it was the ISP we loaded AOL. The same problem occured when we dialed up through AOL. That led me to believe we're back to a problem with Sympatico.

I'm going to call Wal-mart Connect today to see if they've ever experienced this. Calling AOL is like putting perfume on a pig . . . my entire day would be shot. LOL

I'll post when I have more news . . .

Thanks so so far.

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
ok--thanks for the update!!!
this may sound sound odd (and expensive) but have you tried using an aol acsess number in canda? AOL uses proxy server and so the candian isp computer shouldnt be able to tell that you are not in canda if you are connected through a aol proxy server. of course this whould cost you the cost of calling canada, but you should be able to accsess your email.

Kathy55

Kathy55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Didn't get to call Walmart today . . . other appointments got in the way. I'm going back to this client tomorrow morning so will discuss options with her when I get there.

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
thanks for the update.