Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer Locked

• Please log in to reply

rogerandfmly

rogerandfmly

• Pip
  • 1 posts
my computer has a window that says" this computer is in use and has been locked."
"Only AFAMILYAFFAIR/owner or administrator can unlock this computer."
Under that is 2 boxes, one says username -- owner and the other says
password -- _____

I tried my original password and it would not work, so I managed to change the password and access my computer, but everytime I stop working, even if only for a minute the computer goes right back to that window that says "this computer is in use and has been locked. I would like to get rid of that window and go back to where it was, but I have exhausted all my resources, so please help.

Thanks, preciousfmly@aol.com <_<

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,501 posts
Welcome rogerandfmly! <_<

This is most likely probably caused by a corrupted screen saver file. I'd first try using XP's Sytem Restore feature. Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore. Follow the directions and choose a date before the problem began.

If that doesn't work try this Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 242917

NOTE: It seems this message is appearing more often recently. I looked and didn't see any virus or worm exploits that may be the cause, but it would still be a good idea to visit Windows Update and make sure you've installed all critical patches and updates.