Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Transferring Files from Win 95 to Win XP

• Please log in to reply

Matt T

Matt T

• PipPipPip
  • 674 posts
Hello there,

I am trying to transfer files from my old Windows 95 computer to my brand new Windows XP computer. Windows 95 doesn't have USB or networking so I can't just conect them and go.

I believe that the hard drive size on the old computer is quite small only about 1.96gb. I have used 1.83gb of it. Well that is what it tells me when I click on it anyway, although I thought it would be larger.

Today we bought a new COM (serial) cable 9-pin female to female, to connect them together. It doesn't work it just stays on the screen "Connecting to the other computer" for half an hour to a whole hour. Then I finally gave up on it. It is really annoying me now. I rang up a few computer help places and they said that a COM cable is a really bad idea, but I think its a good one considering that the computer doesn't have anything else in it.

There are five other options that I think I can do:

Option 1. (Don't think it will work very well) Connect the old computer to dial-up and put the things on the internet and then get them off the internet from my new one. I tried some of this option today but, although I have been on the internet from my old computer before the plug will now not fit in the internet socket on the back of it so I can't connect at the moment.

Option 2. (Don't think it will work very well) The old computer only has a floppy drive so I could put some things onto a floppy and then onto the new computer one by one, would take ages as there is quite a few image files.

Option 3. Take the old hard drive out and then put it in the new computer and use it as a slave drive and then copy everything onto it and then put it back into the old computer. The only downside to this is that the new computer has a seal on the back and if you open the cover it breaks the seal and I think that will void the warrenty.

Option 4. Take it into a computer shop and they can put the hard drive from the old computer and put it into one of their computers (so it doesn't void my warrenty) and then put all the data over a network onto my new computer.

Or finally Option 5 which I quite like if it is possible. Get the old hard drive out and then buy a adaptor to go into a USB port in the new computer then put the hard drive in and then put the stuff onto the computer.

Any ideas???? P.S. Does anyone know why someone wouldn't reccomend a COM cable data transfer???

~Matt. :-)

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Go back and use your serial port cable to connect the puters. It does work you just need to figure out the setup.

http://www.windowsne...s/wxpdcc9i.html

SRX660

Matt T

Matt T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 674 posts
Thankyou for that link, it will be most helpful. I actually have the wrong cable I'm ment to have a null modem or laplink cable but instead I just have an ordianry serial extension cable cuz the guy in the shop told me it was the right one for the job which it isn't cuz it doesn't transfer any data it just sits there blankly doing nothing.

~Matt