Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

No Windows(r) to Throw it out of.

• Please log in to reply

RPGlover

RPGlover

• Pip
  • 6 posts
1998-ish Model Dell Dim. PIII. 450 mhz. 8gb Maxtor* HD. Upgraded from 98se to XP Home.

Please excuse my lack of proper spelling/naming of all technical information. I'm Learning greatly as I go.

Original Problem:
Upon Boot-up, system would start normally, ending at the user login screen. When clicking on user, system would "load user settings" Blink to an "icon-less" desktop, then close user (saving user settings) and return to the user login screen. Every time.

No problem, nothing to lose on the HD. I'll just reformat/re-install windows. The original CD Rom/DVD drive had been broken for half a year. The unit itself was broken, the tray had been pulled out and gears were missing teeth, but it started up w/ windows all along. I replaced the CD Rom Drive with a BestBuy Dynex 16x/48x. To my dismay, The computer cannot find the cd rom drive. It has power, opens, closes, spins..just isn't being noticed. I attempted to install windows via the 6 disk download from Microsoft. Upon completion, the system could not locate a cd rom drive and ended. I Piggybacked the HD to another computer. Installed windows and booted up the 2nd computer with the 1st computers HD. Cool, put the HD back into the original computer and boot up.

The Finale:
The system starts up normally. However, After running the boot (system check) Running the Dell Logo, the system then goes to a blank screen with a curser in upper left corner. I have run Dell Diagnostic disks on it. It appears to pass all tests, however. It cannot load a cd rom driver as it cannot find the cd rom drive. I have recently learned thru these forums that DOS cannot see NTFS* filesystems. This is good because DOS cannot find my C drive. Another issue, when using the diag. disk I can get a command prompt. I can only access Drive A and Drive B..However. They are the same drive(??) drive A, my floppy drive. I do not know why I can change to drive B and get the same drive. The Dell Diagnostics Disk does see the Maxtor HD and reads the size correctly. It does not see the CD Rom Drive. (when looking for ide/atapi* hardware)

Resolution:
Did I Install Windows incorrectly by allowing it to configure to the 2nd computer, rather than the original?
Can I Install Windows without the use of a CD Rom? (beyond the bootdisks)
Is there any way to force the drive into the computer? (as in reading the drive..not via use of a hammer)
Can I manually add the Drive in the Bios, or alike (dont fully understand "flashing"..if usable in this instance)

I figure the fact that I do get a partial boot and the floppy works fine..maybe there is still hope..It's just a 2nd comp for the kids but I don't need another "nickle & dime" Hobby lol.
Any Information will be greatly Appreciated.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Uhm, no :tazz:

First, I suspect that the new drive you installed in the computer had a jumper set to either master, cable select or slave, and you did not install it as such. That will prevent the drive from being recognized, not only by Windows, but by your computer.

Second, the installing the drive in a new computer and then installing windows was a good try, and may have worked with previous versions of windows (me, 98, 95), but with windows 2000/xp, the installation installs a very unique set of drivers and configuration files for the computer it is in...moving the "windows installation" from one computer to another breaks Windows.

One can actually accomplish what you tried sometimes, but only if your CD works and you can run a repair before Windows attempts to load the first time....running a repair on a system that has already attempted to load will not fix it.

So, check your orignal computer and install the drives properly, configuring the jumpers. Generally, one installs the primary harddrive on the first ide controller as master, and the first cd-rom as the slave on the same cable. If you install the cd-rom drive when set to cable-select or master, it will likely not function if it is on the same cable.

Ideally, you should set the cd-riom as master on it's own (the second) ide controller for better performance.

RPGlover

RPGlover

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I appreciate your information.

I am currently searching the internet for information on my products, settings, etc..

So far, I have this:
A04 Bios. IDE Settings include Primary Master/Primary Slave, Secondary Master/Secondary Slave.
I have the CD-Rom/DVD connected to the Secondary Master.
The CD-Rom's Jumpers came factory set Vertical across the Center 2 Pins. ie. [ : | : ].
The CD-Rom has another connector that looks identical to the jumper with 6 open pins, on the oppisite end of the rear panel, next to the power adapter. Unknown of it's purpose.
The CD-Rom has a diagram above the jumper area that reads: (2 lines: Top "CSM", bottom "SLA")
I assume this equates to first 2 pins = CS(cable select), next 2 = M(master), Last 2 = SLA(slave)

I am currently attempting to set my bios to recognize the CD-Rom on the Secondary Master IDE, however, everytime I press F10 to save and exit. It reverts back to Only recognizing my Primary Master as My Maxtor HD. I also have set to boot from the CD-Rom 1st.

So..
I am unsure of the proper jumper settings on the CD-Rom (next attempt to try all)
I am unsure what settings to place in the BIOS (searching the web)
I am unsure if the BIOS is not setting due to the CD-Rom Jumpers.
I am Certain the Cables are connected properly as the Mobo depicts Primary and Secondary IDE's.

So we understand each other..

First, I suspect that the new drive you installed in the computer had a jumper set to either master, cable select or slave, and you did not install it as such. That will prevent the drive from being recognized, not only by Windows, but by your computer.

Windows was non-functional at the time of the New cd-rom hardware installation. No Driver for the basic cd-rom has been installed. (Ironically, I do have the Disk that came with the hardware)

The original Computer set-up had the cd-rom as the Secondary master. Which is currently the same.

Any further information will be greatly appreciated.

Ken Smith
Michigan, USA

Edited by RPGlover, 10 January 2006 - 06:13 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
It should be set as master if it is the only drive on the controller (it normally does not have to be, but try that)

It could be a defective drive, too

RPGlover

RPGlover

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey gerryf,

I have resolved the Issue with the PC. I appreciate your Time & Attention in this Matter.
It appears it was the "Jumper" Settings. I have Installed Windows XP Home via the New CD-Rom Driver.

Ken Smith
Michigan,USA

Edited by RPGlover, 11 January 2006 - 02:32 PM.