Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hard drive

• Please log in to reply

andrewsexton

andrewsexton

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Yep with no luck can i recover files if i link up the hard drive on my main pc as a slave but both hard drives will have xp on is this a problem?

Andrew

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I've done this many times. Don't make the mistake of trying to start the OS on the second drive. I tried that once and crashed both drives. I saved 45 gigs of music off a friends drive just by copy and paste.

SRX660

andrewsexton

andrewsexton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Hi,

Whats the best way of doing this?

Andrew

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I just lay the second drive(have even had it standing on end) in the case where the ribbon cable can be connected, usually have the jumper set to cable select, and hooked up a power wire. I check to see if XP will see the second drive in explore( start, right click my computer, click explore). It will usually show up as the "D" drive but i have had a few show as "F" drives behind the cd-rw and dvd drives. It really doesnt matter since it is only going to be in the puter long enough to transfer files, then removed. While i am in Explore i will open the "C" drive and "D" drive. I make a folder on the C i call Transfer, then proceed to the D drive, find the data i want to save, and transfer entire folders to the transfer folder on C with copy and paste. Depending on how much data you want to save, it can take a while to save everything. It took me a couple of hours to save 45 gigs. When i am done i shut down the computer and remove the drive.

SRX660