Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM upgrades? brand important?

• Please log in to reply

delawaredrew

delawaredrew

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
There is so much variation in prices for 512mb sodimm PC2100 266mgz ram for my Dell Inspiron 8500. Do you stay away from the lowest cost stuff, or is buying a big brandname not worth the extra money? Does a $65.00 viking unit really outperform a $45.00 generic?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The guarantee is worth checking and also the vendor reputation, especially with regard to exchanging faulty products

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Brand is fairly important if you want the best performance and reliability, obviously for some people a no name from somwhere reliable is ok if its just a single big stick of ram for a general use system.

But if you want to have a good performance increase a good brand and quality help, either way i would go with corsair not only are they among the cheapest they are also the market leaders.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Thats right corsair is the #1 leader in memory.

If you want memory that is guaranteed to work with your system or your money back then look at www.crucial.com You pick your pc's model and it shows compatable memory.

Corsair is great memory.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Memory is one of those areas where you get what you pay for.

Cheap stuff will probably run but it'll also fall over a lot faster. Whereas if you buy a decent brand such as Kingston, Crucial or Corsair, okay you pay a bit more but you get stuff that'll often outlast the rest of the system's lifetime.

Leroy Lim

Leroy Lim

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I would really look at the warranty and also how the product performs. Maybe i would prefer a Kingston DDR it has lifetime warranty.

delawaredrew

delawaredrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
OK, so the answer is that I should probably get the brand name memory for reliabilty. The price is not that important to me so if a few more dollars gets me the better stuff I will choose that route.
Thanks to all for the responses.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Yeh, corsair has lifetime warranty and owns kingston.