Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook Express 6 loss of images

• Please log in to reply

Jay1028

Jay1028

• Pip
  • 9 posts
All of a sudden I get an icon in place of any images in email. The icon is a square and in it is a little red square,blue triangle and red circle. What happened?
Thanksicon.jpg

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it seems that you're not accepting image downloads in the email....is there a bar at the top of the mail that says something like "click to download pictures"....if you right click on where the picture is supposed to be...is there an option for "show picture"

Jay1028

Jay1028

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
No bar and when right click, I get Copy, Save picture as, Select all. That's it. I am also using Firefox as a browser.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Right click a broken image in in your email and choose properties...look for the url to the image....you can select it with your mouse and cut and paste the result here

Many times, this issue arises because the image is no longer on the server...you may not be actually downloading the image on the email, but linking back to the iumage, and then outlook uses the iexplorer engine to go out and get the image.

If the image is removed from the server, this will occur

If you have loaded any anti-ad or anti popup software, it may be blocking the server where the images are.

If you have edited your host file, or had a program do it, this may cause this

If you have added sites to your never trust sites in IE security, it will cause this issue

Jay1028

Jay1028

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Cannot choose properties - only choices are as in previous post above. This happends to all my emails lately. Just received mail this AM is still no images. No popup software. Checked Firefox and unchecked 'block popup windows and unchecked and re-checked load images and still nothing.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Did you update to sp2 recently?

In Outlook Express On the main Toolbar click the Tools option
From the drop down menu that appears click Options
Click the Security tab
On the Security tab screen look for the section marked 'Download images'
Uncheck the 'Block images and other external content in HTML email'
Click Apply followed by OK to exit
Shut down OE, then open it again
Go get some more email

Fix?

Jay1028

Jay1028

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
No SP2 here. My system works fine and do not want it. Attached are screen shots of what I have.security_tab.jpg oe6.jpg

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Is this Home or Pro?

Is thiis your machine or work machine?

Start > Control panel > Internet Settings

Go to the Security tab...Click each button at the top, click on DEFAULT.

Finally, click on RESTRICTED SITES and click on the button SITES....anything in that list?

Jay1028

Jay1028

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Did as you suggested. All default settings. Nothing in any of the trusted or restricted sites list. XP Home SP1 at home. This situation just began last week and no software has been added. I do not open email from anyone taht I do not know. I can't figure this out.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
do you have any generic email you don't mind me seeing?

I could send you my email and you can forward one to me so I can take a look

Also, if you could ATTACH a hijackthis log I can see what it running that could potentially interfere

Advertisements

Jay1028

Jay1028

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I would appreciate anything you can help with. I will email whatever you want.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
ok, PM'd you my email, so send it along...and please attach a hijackthis log (follow link in my signature)

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Oh boy, I'm such a knob...I spent half an hour trying to fix the wrong thing, I think....

Kept trying to address it as if it was an outlook problem, which would actually manifest itself as a RED X....the generic icon means, I think, that your default associations are broke,

DOwnload and unzip the attachment, then double click it....Windows will ask if you want to merge the info into the registry,,,,say yes.

Reboot.

Report back

Attached Files

Jay1028

Jay1028

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
You are getting closer to the fix. I can see images in 2 out of 6 emails now.

Jay1028

Jay1028

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I just got an email from circuity city and no images. Then I noticed a message at the top of the email body that said "having trouble viewing this, click here". I clicked and all images appear. That help any?

Jay