Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

upgraded windows XP over windows ME

• Please log in to reply

vacdepo

vacdepo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi
I installed Windows XP onto compact computer that was set up with ME Windows operating system. Prior to the download I could access AOL with direct line ,no problem. After download could not connect to AOL. AOL advises me that when downloading Windows XP over Windows ME the communication port has to be configured.
Anyone out there ever hear of this ? Any help is appreciated.

Thank You,
Pat, Vacdepo

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Hi Pat,

What version of AOL are you using? If you upgrade from WinMe using AOL 7, it does break the connection because AOL uses a proprietary network driver not compatible with Windows XP.

Later versions of AOL still use the proprietarty network driver, but it is compatible.

The easy solution is to upgrade to AOL versions higher than 7.0--but, if that is not the issue, it would not surprise me if something else was broken by the upgrade.

Define DIRECT LINE...dial up? Or a broadband connection? Configuring a PORT doesn't make much sense....maybe configuring the connection's firewall....

Do you have anymore info on WHAT port needs to be configured? Any particular buzzwards they gave you (and why didn't they tell you what ports)

Seems odd...like AOL was pushing you off and blaming someone else. If this is really a problem, they ought to know what/how to fix it, it would seem. Millions of users have done as you and not had issues.

Provide more info adnd maybe we can work through it