Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Backup

• Please log in to reply

Jacov

Jacov

• Pip
  • 3 posts
New machine with XP Home edition preloaded. Did not receive disc and could not back up files. Kept getting the message backup.bkf is not a valid path. Inserting other paths did not result in success. Unable to locate backup file utility on system.

Upgraded to XP Pro and backup utility did not load by default. Can't find the file on the disc.

As is obvious I am not a "geek" and I do need help.

Thanks

Jacov

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Jacov,

I'm sorry, I do not know what you're asking. What are you trying to do, ultimately?

Windows XP Home does not come with backup installed by default, and installing it would require the windows xp cd. It is possible they put the software on your computer....do a search for a folder called

VALUEADD

Find it?

Might you consider a third party backup program ?

Jacov

Jacov

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
JerryF

I did not make myself very clear, did I?

I was trying to back up my files and system while I had XP Home - no luck, kept getting the message "backup.bkf is not a valid path".

I upgraded to XP Professional which supposedly has the backup utility imbedded and loads by default. Unfortunately, apparently backup did not load and I was not able to find the file on the disc. I am still getting the message "backup.bkf is not a valid path"

I am trying to perform regular and scheduled backups without having to individually choose the files and then using the copy/write to cd procedure.

Does this note make more sense?

Thanks

Jacov

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
What are you trying to back up to? What files?

It sounds like backup.bkf is not a valid path is a restore procedure (it's looking for that file). I'm not entirerly certain how you are trying to back up....are you using the wizard? Is there a floppy drive on this machine? (I ask because the default is the floppy drive, which is plain nuts these days)

Honestly, I find Windows backup program to be somewhat cumbersome for most purposes. It cannot backup to CDRs (windows backup reads them as read only) and it cannot span multiple volumes

There are far easier options.

For example, consider this free program

http://www.educ.umu....obianbackup.htm

It is far more intuitive and easier to use. Like Windows, it does not natively support CDR backups...however, with third party packet writing software (NERO InCD, RoxioEasyCD, etc) you can accomplish this by formatting the CDR first, then running the backup

Jacov

Jacov

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Gerry:

I apologize for misspelling your name on the previous message.

I was trying to use the backup wizard and there is a floppy disc drive on the machine. I will try the link when I get home and am on my own computer.

Thanks for your help.

Jacov