Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AntiVirus Software

• Please log in to reply

WonderBread

WonderBread

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi there. I just recently purchased a new laptop and was wondering which AV software would give the best overall protection. It came with both Norton AV and McAfee. but i was wondering which of the two is better. Or is something like AVG a good option considering that it is free. or just having both of the AV prgms running with eachother sort of a dual protection. Maybe Panda is good as well. just want some input

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I would try either Avast or AVG, both are better than norton and Mcafee and they are free, if you want to pay and get the best of the best then get NOD32 or Kapersky, dont run two AVs at a time they fight each other.

Boyo

Boyo

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
Okay, first of all, it is strictly verboten to use 2 AV's on one system. It will destabalize the programs, and leave your computer open to attack. You can have one, and then use an on-line AV scanner like Trend House if you want the extra security.

I used Norton for 2 years. The second year using Norton Internet Security 2005. I can't think of a product so completely useless and at the same time, such a resource hog. My experience, get Norton out of your computer now. The same goes for McAfee. My sister uses it, and while she is not exactly security conscience, I've tested it, and I don't think it lives up to the hype.

You are going to read and get lots of responses from people who love AVG. I'm not one of them. I got 2 trojans using it, and before everyone flames me for dissing AVG, yes, I had a lot of other protection practices in use at the same time. But if you want a free AV, that probably 99% of the admins will recommend, give it a shot. It's free. So if you don't like it, you aren't out $50.00.....

I did an extensive amount of research on AV's because I needed one badly, one that actually worked, and one that I would not uninstall after using it for 2 months....I almost went for Panda too. But I read a lot of user reviews of the software. It didn't meet customer's expectations, it was a resource hog, and their was little or no product support. I passed.

I finally settled on BitDefender 9 Standard. I couldn't be happier. It is very powerfull, uses little system resources to run in the background, and it is relatively cheap at $24.00. It has been certified by VB %, ICSA Labs, Checkmark, and TUV......That's my 2 cents. You will have to ultimitly make the choice, but here are 2 links for reviews, and a link to BitDefender, which by the way also has a free on-line scanner......

http://anti-virus-so...tenreviews.com/

http://antivirus-sof...tarreviews.com/

http://www.bitdefender.com/site/home/

loophole

loophole

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 9,798 posts
NOD32 :tazz: Lightweight,quick scanning and excellent detection rates

WonderBread

WonderBread

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thanks for the advice ill look into all those options

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Im personally like Avast its the only free AV i truly trust and like, i would prefer Nod32 but im a stingy and skint student so Avast is for me, much better than norton, any antivirus will let viruses through though it can only help protect you, you are still the weak part in the setup and itll probably be your own fault if you get a virus.

finalmad

finalmad

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Ewido security suite it works like charm

Chopstix

Chopstix

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Might want to do a search on the word Panda. I have a script but I can't use it. I'm using the trial verson of Zone Alarm right now and it seems pretty good.