Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Im having trouble with a repair install.

• Please log in to reply

JLZ286

JLZ286

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I got my windows cd and I thought I was finally getting me computer back but no, I was wrong. I did everything I was supposed to do for a repair install, I clicked enter not R in the first screen, then it found the version of windows that was already installed on my computer. So it goes through the whole process and finally finishes and gets to the part where the computer restarts itself. Now after its restarted im at a screen with helpful windows tips on the right side and its telling me whats its installing and the approximate time left. I was going fine until a few minutes in the screen starts going black, it keeps going black and coming back like if I had restarted the computer but the setup is continuing normally. Later on when the windows setup gets to 12 minutes remaining I get a blue screen and windows will restart itself and start the setup all over. I have to go through everything again, putting in my product key. I tried cleaning the cd incase it was dirty but still the same thing. I've tried about 6 times and have gotten the same result all 6 times. I need help, I want my computer back!!

Advertisements

lsgh5

lsgh5

• Pip
  • 6 posts
why are you doing a repair install? are you getting BSODs etc??

JLZ286

JLZ286

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yes, my computer would start and give me a screen with options like safe mode, last known good configuration and others but which ever I picked I would always get a blue screen and then the computer would restart. I researched it and was told a repair install could get my computer back.

JLZ286

JLZ286

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Is there any way that I can get into the windows folders without actually starting windows? If I could just get my files and put them on a cd or a flash drive I could just format with no worries.