Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ycommon.exe

• Please log in to reply

Boyo

Boyo

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
I use SBC Yahoo! DSL as my DSL provider and browser. Everything has been running great up to now. When I open up the browser and begin using the internet, again no problems. But after few minutes, I can hear my CPU going into overdrive. When I open up Task Manager to see what is the deal, it shows my CPU Usage at 100%....Looking at the processes that are running, I see the process, ycommon.exe, running and using 99% CPU usage. I click end to stop the process, and then everything goes back to normal. I've done some reading from websites that describe ycommon.exe, and I have called Yahoo! for help. They all say it is a necessary function of the browser, so it should not be deleted, but no one can tell me why it does not start up immediately when I open the browser and why it is taking over my system. I have no choice but to end the process..This just became a problem in the last week or so...Any thoughts, because I am at a loss? Thanks.......

Advertisements

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi Boyo,
As far as i can remember,, ycommon.exe is the " yahoo messenger " part of the browser settings.
I have a feeling that deleting it would cause your browser to stop functioning, as the messenger is coded into the browser itself.
All indications say its not a threat, although there have been cases where yahoo applications have been hijacked, using ycommon file.
Have you ran spybot and adaware, and done a full virus scan ???
I am sure nothing will come up,, but its worth doing just to rule out this rare possibility.

It could be that messenger just kicks in every now and then,, pushing up your cpu usage.?????
If you dont use yahoo messenger at all,, delete it from your add/remove programs, it wont harm your browser. I have done it on all my computers as i use yahoo as an isp,, but cant stand messenger.
I have never noticed anything untoward after deleting it.
Do the scans first,,and post again.
cheers,,, kev.

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi boyo,,
Managed to trawl this off google,,, might give you a bit more advice.

http://www.auditmypc...ess/ycommon.asp

Let us know how the scans go.

Boyo

Boyo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Thanks a bunch, rxkevco. You are correct. Ycommon.exe is for Yahoo IM, which I never use. Why it is racking up my CPU Usage, I still don't know. I have been shutting down the process when I can feel my CPU slow. Unfortunately, the Yahoo Browser does need ycommon.exe in order to function correctly, so I won't delete it.....

The link you gave me was great. It reassured me that ycommon.exe is not Spyware on my system when it ran its test. The results also showed that I give out too much info when visiting a web site. But the upside is that my firewall is working well, according to the test it ran.......I'll be able to rest easier now, but I need to get an SBC Yahoo tech on the phone to stop this .exe from taking over my system....

Thanks again for your help.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You could try usingPC tuneup 2006 it has a nice feature that lets you disable the startup of some programs, you can of course go in and disable it yourself but its easier to use that, and its a good bit of software as well.

Also on the yahoo browser, why dont you switch, there are much better alternatives like Firefox or opera.

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Thanks Boyo,,
Glad to help.
Delete yahoo messenger from your add/remove programs, once
its gone i am sure your pc will run fine without these worrying cpu spikes.
Pc tune up is ( as warriorscot suggested ) a cracking tool to have around, worth getting
hold of it anyway, you never know when i might be needed.
Good luck,, kev

Boyo

Boyo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
It is ironic that you both recommend PC Utilities 2006, because I have it installed. I have used it to disable a number of useless programs, but oddly, ycommon.exe does not show up in the list. The Yahoo task bar icon is the only program that shows up to be turned off. Am I doing something incorrectly with the utility program???

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi Boyo,,
Do you ever use the yahoo task bar ???
If not,, delete it, its probably coded to the messenger that you want shut of.

Boyo

Boyo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Hi rxkevco,

Something is really wrong with my computer. Today winlog.exe is trying to get server access through 3 different programs. Whereas yesterday, my CPU was at 100%, today is 2%....I am going to have to do some virus scans and then post a HiJackThis log. Something is just not right, but I don't know what.

This is really my own fault. I stuck with NIS 2005, even though I didn't think it was working at 100%. I got rid of it, and got BitDefender AV and it found 7 viruses....I think my trouble now is the tip of the iceberg. Valuable lesson. Stay on top of your security or roll the dice and pay the piper....

Thanks again for all of your help. I really appreciate it.

Boyo

Boyo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Correction- it is winlogon.exe, not winlog.exe....

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi Boyo,,,
Get yourself over to the " hijack this " forum.
You are quite right that something is wrong.
I have done as much as i can to help, and i hope you have found my assistance
of some use.
Get the guys over at hijack to sort this one out for you,, they are the experts
and i am sure they will get you sorted.
REMEMBER,,, SORT OUT YOUR SECURITY !!!!
Regards,,,,, kev.