Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Losing Desktop, Internet Explorer freezing

• Please log in to reply

sarahjane666uk

sarahjane666uk

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, I have had few problems with my PC over the last week or so. First off, my system was hijacked and kept taking me to a blue error page when I opened Internet explorer. With the help of other posts I managed to get that sorted. I now have another problem. My desktop seems to dissapear. If I have been using IE and I go to close the page it closes and is no longer on the bottom bar, but the image appears on desktop and I can't remove it without re-starting my computer (can't even access my icons). Even if I open the start menu, the image stays glued to the screen. It does not have a set pattern but it is really starting to get on my nerves. I also have occasional problems clicking on links, the whole system freezes. My task bar automatically hides, when it pops up then hides again there are lines where the bar had been. I have removed my downloaded background and used the basic windows one, but this does not make a difference.

I am not technical and know nothing about the workings of computers, so please remember I will not be familiar with various terms and help pretty much needs to be spelled out in idiot terms! All I can tell you about my PC is that I bought it from Tiny in December 2001. It runs XP and has intel pentium 4. I run the free version of AVG anti-virus and have done for over a year. I also have spy bot and ad-ware, (both of which I have run and have found nothing). i also downloaded that hijack this thing. All my windows update are up-to-date.

Please help as I am at my wits end. I did consider re-staring the whole PC, but do not have all the disks that came with the PC.

Thanks in advance

SJ :tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Knowing what you did to resolve the other problem (malare) would be useful

Also, downloading and installing EVEREST
http://www.geekstogo...tion=show&id=13

then running a report (select report from top menu) and ATTACHING it to your next post would help us to get a feel for how we got here in the first place.

If I were a betting man, I suspect a video driver corruption. Removing the driver and reinstalling an updated one would probably help

sarahjane666uk

sarahjane666uk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok, have downlaoded everest and have attched the report. Hope this helps you.
SJAttached File  Report.htm   198.89KB   54 downloads

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
My brother had an identical problem with his computer, it had started 2 days before I formatted his machine, over x-mas.

Didn't bother looking for the problem, but his computer had plenty of spyware and viruses to go around.

Perhaps you should do an online scan with Trend Micro

http://housecall65.trendmicro.com/