Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Yet another "Limited or No Connectivitiy"

• Please log in to reply

sonofguido

sonofguido

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hey all,
I am having a problem with connecting my girlfriend's computer to the internet. First off, her computer is an old Compaq that HAD a 56K modem in it, which used to connect to the internet through dial-up at her mom's house. I recently took the modem OUT of the computer and installed an Impression High Speed Network Adapter 10/100MBPS PCI ethernet card. This computer I'm using to connect to the internet (my computer) is running through a router, and of course connected to a DSL modem (Road Runner). My girlfriend's computer is also connected to the same router, and the light on the back of the ethernet card is flashing. HOWEVER, when I installed the drivers that came with the card, and tried to connect to the internet, the computer said that I might not be able to connect because it had "Limited or No Connectivity." When I tried to "repair" the local area connection (attempting to renew IP), Windows states it could not correct the problem because the following action could not be completed: Renewing IP address. Now I don't know if whoever reads this needs the "Physical Address," but when I clicked on Network Connection Details, the IP Address reads 169.259.133.57, and Subnet Mask 255.255.0.0.
Now, I do want whoever reads this to know that I am not an expert when it comes to this stuff. So, I do not know what information to provide to you right now (I.E. name of router, modems, computer specifications, etc.) that may render useful. My girlfriends computer, the one that has the problem, is running Windows HP Home, SP2. I was reading some of the other forums on here where people were having the same problem, but I'm still to much of a novice to fix this problem on my own without some assistance. In saying that, I would appreciate anyone's feedback and help. I have to get this computer connected to the internet, as we are both college students with online classes. Thanks again, and sorry this is lengthy.

SOG

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
on the offending computer right click on my network places, then properties...then right click the lan connection and do properties..then click on tcp/ip then the properties button... make sure everything is set to automatic

now do start > run > cmd > ipconfig /release
then ipconfig /renew
then ipconfig /all

and post the results

kate22in

kate22in

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi,

Just follows the steps in the following link

http://www.pchell.co...nectivity.shtml

that should help to fix the issue.

John0

John0

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi, just to add my 2c's worth... I've got a similar situation running a small workgroup (2 PCs + Laptops)... tried the fix from the link above but still got the 'error'... have not run WinsockFix yet but will try that later today and post back...

J

sonofguido

sonofguido

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
OK, first off, thanks for replying and trying to help. I did what Kate22in told me to do with the thing from pchell.com, and it did not fix the problem. So, here is the results from typing the ipconfig commands in the DOS C: prompt window (for dsenette):

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Nappy Chan>ipconfig/release

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 4:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

C:\Documents and Settings\Nappy Chan>ipconfig/renew

Windows IP Configuration

An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection 4 : unable to c
ontact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.

C:\Documents and Settings\Nappy Chan>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : MEGANSPC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 4:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : DAVICOM 9102/A PCI Fast Ethernet Ada
pter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-60-6E-75-7B-89
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.133.57
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

C:\Documents and Settings\Nappy Chan>

Everything is set to automatic under the Internet Protocol properties.
I hope someone can look at this and help. Thanks again.

SOG

sonofguido

sonofguido

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
:tazz: ... still doesn't work.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
is your router set up for dhcp?

sonofguido

sonofguido

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Yes, the router is set up for DHCP. It is a router I got from my father, and to double check, I even asked him. My father said that router is fine, but he thinks that the problem might be coming from the correct protocols not installed on my girlfriend's computer. Since her computer HAD a 56K modem in it and connected to the internet by dial-up, that the appropriate protocols for connecting to the internet with broad band (Road Runner) are not installed. So... I dunno! :tazz: More input would be appreciated. Thanks again very much!

SOG

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ask your dad if he remembers setting anything up called PPoe or PPP or something like that when he set up the other machine for roadrunner

sonofguido

sonofguido

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
My dad said he hasn't messed with any settings on the router. The router is set to default settings and that the problem does not lie in the router. I even unplugged my cat5 line from the back of the router, and plugged her computer into the spot I was using, and her computer still cannot connect to the internet (and the slot I'm plugged into works). So, my dad still thinks it is a problem with the computer and not the router. Hope this information helps. Thank you again.

SOG

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do an ipconfig /all on the computer that does work...and note the ip address and default gateway..

right click on my network places on the non working machine > properties > click on tcp/ip > click properties, now uncheck the "obtain ip address automatically" thing and enter an ip address where the last number in the addres is one higher than the one you got from the working computer...set the subnet mask as 255.255.255.0 then set the gateway the same as the other machine...can you connect now?

sonofguido

sonofguido

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I had my dad come over and he did basically the same thing you said to do. The Local Area Connection now says connected, but not many packets are being sent or received. Also, the Internet Explorer will not load any webpages (connect to the internet). The computer is connected to the network because I can see my girlfriend's computer from mine, it just won't connect to the internet. Any suggestions?

SOG

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well....at least that suggests that your NIC card is working... let's try one more static assignment...on the working machine do an ipconfig /all again...and write down the information for the dns servers....then put those into the non-working computer..under the tcp/ip properties

sonofguido

sonofguido

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
No dsenette, that did not fix it. I put the DNS server information into my girlfriend's computer, still not able to connect. As before, the Local Area Connection still says "connected," but not able to bring any pages up on the internet browser. And to just double check to make sure the problem is not the router, I by-passed the router and connected my girlfriend's computer directly to the back of the modem. STILL doesn't work. So now I'm thinking perhaps it's more of a hardware problem and not software problem? Maybe some jumpers need to be moved around on the motherboard? I'm not sure... but I would appreciate some more feedback. Thanks again for helping me.

SOG

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i doubt there's a jumper that would do anything....have you tried updating the drivers for the ethernet card?