Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp sp2 takes a long time to load

• Please log in to reply

fosofosho

fosofosho

• Pip
  • 8 posts
this has been getting a little bit worse for a while, it takes my laptop too long to start, it starts fine i guess, but it tkaes a long time to open programs after i start it. running latest spybot/adaware/clean up! recently defragged, just wondering what the matter is, i installed sp2 as soon as i connected to the internet, got this last fall before going to school, its a compaq with a pentium 4, thanks!

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
When was the last time you
defragged?
ran chkdsk /f

How many programs are running at startup?

fosofosho

fosofosho

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
i recently ran speed disk, and defragged a few weeks ago, i used tune up to turn off a lot of programs at start and that helped some, but its still slow, how do i do the chkdisk thing? thanks

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Start > Run, type
cmd
<enter>

type
chkdsk /r
<enter>
say yes to schedule chkdsk

reboot

fosofosho

fosofosho

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
i am also using speedfan, most everything in the trial version of tune up, and crap cleaner, i ran chkdsk, still slow, 8 programs at start up,like mouse, keyboard, touchpad etc