Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP takes extremely long to shutdown

• Please log in to reply

Caseyb

Caseyb

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
Hello!

I have posted about this problem before but could not get a response, so I will try again and be more detailed.

My computer takes a very long time to shutdown or restart, usually around 5-10 minutes. When I restart or shutdown soon after booting up, though, it shuts down immediately. I have tried numerous attempts at fixing this issue but none have been successful.

Here's what happens when I attempt to shutdown or restart:

First, my NIS 2005 shuts down and a ending program window (ending program CcApp) usually pops up. This is followed by no response for a few minutes. Finally windows begins to log off. This process also takes a few minutes. The saving settings screen then comes up for a few seconds followed by the windows is shutting down screen which takes a minute or two.

I don't know if I have an application hang or what. But I have tried the hive cleanup service as well as tune-up utilities 2006 to fix my registry.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
try disabeling all of the real time scanning portions of NIS...the live update and the real time scan stuff.....then try to shutdown

Caseyb

Caseyb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
I turned of Autoupdate...but what do you mean by the real time scanning stuff?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
sorry i dont have NIS so i don't know the wording of it.... i think it's like....auto protect? or smething like that?

Caseyb

Caseyb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Ok I disabled autoprotect...Is it safe to do these?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
for testing purposes yes...for surfing the internet no.....now shutdown and see if it moves faster

edit: the wording of that sounds snippy and rude..and i don't m ean it to...there should have been more commas hehehe

"for testing purposes it is safe...but do not surf around on the internet right now, please turn off your computer and see if the shutdown moves faster" there thats better

Edited by dsenette, 10 January 2006 - 03:46 PM.

Caseyb

Caseyb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Oh I didn't take it as snippy, don't worry...Unfortunately that did not seem to help

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok then reinable those....in most cases (and i still suspect in this case) when a user complains of slow shutdowns....it's usually the fault of NIS...it doesn't unload it's processes very well...

Caseyb

Caseyb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Ok thanks for the help. I guess there's not really any way to resolve this issue then except for getting rid of NIS...

Agentx2

Agentx2

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
how many processes do you have running in the background?

Advertisements

Caseyb

Caseyb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Do I check that by pressing ctrl alt del?

Caseyb

Caseyb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Agentx2

Agentx2

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
have you been infected by any worms or trojans or spyware?

Caseyb

Caseyb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Not that I know of....NIS, Ad-aware, Spybot, Spywareblaster and Spywareguard have not detected any

Agentx2

Agentx2

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
try getting the program called CCleaner. it will clean out regristry problems, files junk etc. but run chkdsk after you run that program from cmd prompt.-run it twice just to make sure (cmd prompt=chkdsk)

Edited by Agentx2, 10 January 2006 - 05:14 PM.