Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Safely Remove hardware not working

• Please log in to reply

Revant

Revant

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi all, I just recently installed a WD80GB External USB HD on a old Win 2k Pro machine and i can't get the HD to show up as a Removable HD. It works fine it has a drive letter everything is dandy, but no "saftely remove hardware" icon appears for it and it doesn't show up in Control Panel / Add/Remove Hardware (The icon isn't hiden as 2k doesn't hide stuff and it doesn't show up in the control panel). The OS seems to just treat it like a perm/internal HD, the problem here is I use the External HD as a backup HD for some important information and the W2K box is running a server for me so shuting it down disconnects a bunch of stuff/people i need running and isn't a very good option for removing it and taking it home. Also their an external CDR i use everyonce and a while on that box and it works fine and the Safely remove hard ware icon shows up fine. So if any one has had this problem or maybe know whats wrong here i could really use the help..

Advertisements

Revant

Revant

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Also i thought i'd add that if i just turn of the Drive manually, then Windows will pop op the little box saying that i unsafely removed the hardware "- USB Mass storage device - WD800BB External USB drive" and to use the add / remove hardware wizard. Neither of the device i listed above show up in the remove hardware wizard =p.

Edited by Revant, 10 January 2006 - 05:15 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
speculation....

What windows 2000 service pack? The original win 2k, sp1, sp2 and sp3 did not support usb 2.0 and yours is a usb 2 drive

Your hardware does not support usb 2.0

Revant

Revant

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
awesome! I installed SP4 and vola, didn't even think of that awesome...