Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

File icons changed (association issue?)

• Please log in to reply

khersee

khersee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
OK ... well ... this issue has taken a new turn. Could there be some correlation between my failing burner(s) and icon associations? As, when I plugged my burner in to try to get it to work, I lost my icons. Help? Kirk

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
weird....How many drives are here total?

When you install a dvd usb drive, does it try to jump ahead in the lettering scheme? Pick D instead of E or F or something like that?

I've never even heard of anything like this.

khersee

khersee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
How many drives are here total?
There are 3 drives total: 1 internal ATAPI cd burner (@ least 3 years old) ... 1 external USB Fantom DVD/CD burner & 1 USB TDK CD burner.

When you install a dvd usb drive, does it try to jump ahead in the lettering scheme? Pick D instead of E or F or something like that?
Not that I can tell. It seems to place itself at K for whatever reason. My drives are listed as:
C: Main drive w/ Windows
D: cd rom drive
E: 6 Gig storage drive
F: internal ATAPI cd burner
G, H, I & J are USB ports on a hub/card reader
K: USB DVD/CS burner
L: TDK cd burner

OT: how come there never seems to be a B: drive?

Kirk

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
B: drive was traditionally a second floppy, and is reserved by the floppy controller

So, if you remove both external usb drives, then uninstall and reinstall winamp, all is well until you plug in the external drives (one or both)

?

khersee

khersee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Yes, actually, as soon as I open a program and choose the drive (to burn with), I choose whatever I'm going to burn and that's when I notice the icons have changed. Only the last time, the icons show fine in the Winamp explorer view, but not in windows explorer. Kirk