Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Reacurring BSODs, possible hard drive issue?

• Please log in to reply

Kupo

Kupo

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I keep getting BSOD's on my computer, generally when I'm doing more intensive things, but not always and somethings will just crash within minutes of starting to do them. I just recently got myself a new hard-drive and some memory, I've eliminated it being a problem with the memory by swapping back to my old stuff but the hard-drive is still in. The error signiture windows gives me is: BCCode : 9c BCP1 : 00000000 BCP2 : 8053FAF0 BCP3 : C4404000 BCP4 : 00000136 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 1_0 Product : 256_1 If you can help at all I'd be thankful!

Added on the minidumps on the end if that'll help anyone, thanks in advance!

Attached Files

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Can you give us your system specs?

Kupo

Kupo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Motherboard Abit Kv7 + AMD Athlon XP 2800+
2 x Cas 3. 3200 512 mb of ram
Maxtor Maxline 3 250 Gb SATA hard drive (plugged in on board Via Sata Controller)
Seagate ST340810A 40 Gb ATA III
MSI GForce FX 5600 XT
BTC BCE1610IM CD REWRITER
PIONEER DVD-ROM DVD-116

I have two case fans on the computer and one really big one on the cpu.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I am very familar with this board, very good board fast and dependable but picky about setup and power.

Go into bios and under advanced chipset featurers set the DRAM Clock to 166mhz and see if that helps, you have a 333mhz processor and sometimes for max stability you have to run the ram and cpu in sync. You have pc3200 ram and most likely its set to by spd in bios therefore running at 200mhz.

What power supply do you have?

Could you please list your temps and voltages?

I have to check my notes on the KV7 there are some other things to try but for now start with these.

Rick

Kuponuts

Kuponuts

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I've had the hard-drive out for a day now and my computer has been stable once again so the problem definately involves it in some way.

I just got the same advice yesterday on the ram and I've got it running at 166Mhz

I have a Hiper Power PSU it's listed as 230V, Active, 420W.

In the basic bios settings the power is set to run at:
CPU Core Voltage - 1.60V
AGP Voltage - 1.55V
DDR Voltage - 2.70V ( I was told to set it to this by the ram's manufacturer as well.)
NB Core Voltage 2.60V

Then from the PC Health Bios Screen:

CPU Core Voltage - 1.64V
ATX (+3.3V) - 3.29V
ATX (+5V) - 5.05V
ATX (+12V) - 11.85V
AGP VDDQ Voltage - 1.56V
DDR Voltage - 2.75V
Battery Voltage (+3V) - 2.99V
Standby Voltage (+5V) - 5.11V

And the Temperatures from the PC Health Bios Screen:

Active Temp - 70C / 158F
PWM Temp - 57C / 134F
CPU Temp - 43C / 109F

Few, that's alot of information, hope I made it okay for you to read!

Thanks for all the help on this by the way, you're a life saver (well a computer's life anyway :tazz:)

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
The bsod you were getting almost always means bad hardware or setup or heat problems, but it looks like you found it, the hdd you removed.

I doubt there is anything you could do to fix the drive, I would just get whatever data you need off of it and discard it. If the bad drive is the 40G you might want to try another ide cable just in case.

You could try and set the dram back to 200mhz, my KV7 with 2500 XP cpu runs fine like that its just that some combinations of ram, mobo and cpu don't, but if problems occur remeber to change it back.

All your temps and voltages look good.

Rick

Kuponuts

Kuponuts

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks alot, I thought it was the hard drive but I was hoping there was something I could do about it. It's the 250 gb one and it's brand new so I should be able to get it replaced.

Thanks for all your advice on this, I'll know where to come to with my problems you've been a great help!