Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

McAffe questions

• Please log in to reply

slide5050

slide5050

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I have Mcaffe anti-virus suite installed on my pc. My dad was afried of viruses and the like and installed it. I mostly use my pc for games and schoolwork. However when installed it onto my pc it added something like 8 or more processes to the taskmanager.... The Privacy service is never used as one time i had a spyware it never found it, as well as it keeps internet explorer from working at all....that's the perfect anti spyware protection.... why worry about spyware when IE won't even work..lol...but anyway i have seen articles about the uselessness of Mcaffe and was wondering if Mcaffe is worth clogging up my pc's rescources at all....if it's gonna cath only few viruses then wahts the point? i have Microsofts Antispyware and Spybot S&D as well as Bugoff, windows firewall, my firewall in the linksys router, and hijackthis.

Advertisements

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
it's recommened to have one antivirus on your computer. Mcaffe counts as that one... except it does have a low user satisfactory rating. You can try going for the free ones such as AVG or avast. The good pay antivirus are kapersky and nod32.

slide5050

slide5050

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thanks....so what anti-virus program do you think is better, a paying one or a free one, is the paying one worth the money?

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Kaspersky and Nod32 have the best rating amongst the experts. You have to pay for them, but they are very high quality, and last time I checked, cheaper than Norton or McAfee.

Many of the free ones also do a quality job. I have used AVG Free for quite some time now, and have had absolutely no problems.

ScHwErV :tazz: