Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trying to be honest WIN 2000 pro legit software

• Please log in to reply

gmcjetpilot

gmcjetpilot

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Subject:
How do I replace windows 2000 pro updated to service pack 4 with a new version of Windows 2000 pro SP3. The reason is the current software is not legal and want to replace it with a legal copy.

Back ground:
Well I got this piece of crud called Win ME and a friend helping me out loaded Win 2000 and loved it.

I bought the Dell P4, 1.8 GHz several years ago. I have bought several computers and operating systems Win 95, Win 98 and Last Win ME millennium over the years. I did not think much about Win ME and and kept the friends WIN 2000 with out getting my own copy.

Well I would like to "come clean" and decided to give Billy some more money and buy a legit, genuine retail, COA, product code copy of WIN 2000 pro. Dell does not offer a Win 2000 upgrade and had to buy a whole copy of WIN 2000 outright. At least I did not have to by the server version for $350 something.

I DON'T WANT TO REPLACE THE WHOLE OPERATING SYTEM BY REFORMATING THE DRIVE AND LOADING THE NEW DISK.

What to do?

Mr. Trying to be honest (although I am pissed MS sold me this piece of junk Win ME originally)

Edited by gmcjetpilot, 10 January 2006 - 09:16 PM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
My initial reaction is you can't, and do not have to. Purchasing the disc as you have grants you a license to run win2k pro and the product key installed is immaterial.

In XP, you might be blocked from windows updates, but there is no such mechanism I am aware of in 2k.

There is a program called magic jelly bean keyfinder that will reveal and cahnge product keys in xp, but I do not know if it will work in 2k (it will definitely reveal them, though)

Changing the key could have dire consequences and I would not risk it if I were you.

You could install win2k ontop of itself and possibly achieve your goal, too.

I'm no where near a test machine and will be away most of tomorrow, but if you are really concerned, PM me on Thursday..I've got an old winx2k machine laying around and a couple of old 2k disks so I could test jelly bean for you, but PM me if I forget.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
scratch that...will not work in win2k...seems an re-install over itself would be the best bet...not sure when I will have time to try that i you're interested

gmcjetpilot

gmcjetpilot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Dear Gerryf:

It is time to clean the barn and start A-new. time to load the new operating software. I might even buy a new drive, since I did have a hiccup with the hard drive a while back. No bad sectors just that it is 4 years old.

Can you give me advice on reformatting my a new hard drive and getting back to scratch?

Right now I have two (physical) hard drives, C: (every thing) and F: (back up only).

I backed up most of my C: drive and system state onto the F: with the windows backup wizard under accessories. This is a semi regular routine (or should be), so I think I am covered there. PLEASE comment if I am missing stuff. I also have backed up OUTLOOK.

Now I know I am going to loose all my soft ware and will have to re down load or reload. Is there anything I can do to make that easier?

Any references or direction can you point me to. I did this once on my laptop but did not have much extra stuff on it.

Thanks George