Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Newly Built System wont get through POST - ASUS A8N SLI Premium proble

• Please log in to reply

DrMD

DrMD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
MEJ - Thanks for the info... I already RMA'ed the board :tazz: . My bios chip said that it was 1009 so I didn't think to update it. Perhaps not all 1009 are created equal.

Disco555 - Did the Bios upgrade help you??? You had the same problem with the 1009 chip.

It does sound like the same exact issue with the same exact components: mobo, CPU and memory. I got the MSI K8N SLI and it worked out of the box with the components at the begenning of my post.

Back to F.E.A.R. (This eVGA card (7800GT) eats this game up!)

Mike

Advertisements

disko555

disko555

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Well, as it turns out, it was also my memory that wasn't working properly with this board. I had the Corsair TWINX1024-3200C2PT (2x512mb) sticks installed, and for whatever reason, it was not working with the board. After finally getting a knowledgable rep at Asus, he told me simply that it was something wrong with the memory, because the POST check goes CPU, RAM, then video card. Given the fact that no matter if a video card was installed or not, I was never getting a "no vga" error, that it was basically stuck on the RAM part. So I switched out that RAM with Corsair Value series RAM from another system, and sure enough, it worked perfectly. Oddly enough, once I had it up and running, and made some changes in the BIOS (to 2.5-3-3-6 for RAM settings), I was able to switch back to the TWINX1024-3200C2PT and now it works fine with any of the memory. Odd, but it works, so I couldn't be happier! I appreciate everyones input, and hopefully this may help out someone else with the same problem someday.

DrMD

DrMD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Disco555 - good deal. Glad it's all resolved. Strange, though. Is the Corsair that you originally tried on the ASUS 'approved list' for the premium? The ones that I got were. Perhaps you could post the exact model number for the corsair value series (in case anyone does stumble across this post) that worked with the board and we can call this one a wrap!

Mike

disko555

disko555

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Sure, the model number of the Corsair Value Select that I have is VS1GBKIT400, and is currently listed on Newegg for $81 as 'CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail'

I still find it lame that Asus doesn't make it so the Corsair XMS, which is one of the premier and most popular brands of memory, compatible out of the box with this board. Oh well, I'm just happy I finally figured out the problem!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
It should be compatible, but alot of things should be compatible with these boards but arent, they are good when they work but its not a certainty they will work.

DrMD

DrMD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Warriorscot - I can honestly say that I've finally found something worth reading on the web! This site is really fantastic. You guys do a great job of getting right to the problem and offer advice that is useful and at the same time never condescending (much appreciated :tazz: ) Since surfing your site I have gotten help with the build from this post, immunized against spy ware, figured out how to clean about 500 MB of crap off my laptop, and have been educated and thoroughly entertained.

Many thanks.

Mike

jojofine

jojofine

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had the same problem although with an A8N-SLI Deluxe. I however had the latest BIOS and it still wouldnt work. I took out the video card and RAM and it didnt beep at all so I RMA'd it. New board supposed to arrive monday so hopefully I get it going

dkg

dkg

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've got the same problem.

It's a STEP E6 3700+ with a BIOS chip that is labeled 1008. The voice POST message will work when the CPU is removed. (It says "NO CPU INSTALLED"). Thats with no CPU or MEMORY or graphics card. But if I install just the CPU, it says nothing, no beeps, no anything.

ASUS suggests that the CPU is bad and I should try a new one. My gut tells me the CPU is fine. Now I have to fight with ASUS over a problem that sounds common by the number of posts I've seem on other forums. I should have gone with ABIT.

Is it better to RMA the board or just replace the BIOS chip?

Sybs

Sybs

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi folks,
I'm very glad others are having this problem too. Well, you know what I mean.

I just built my system and got the same result. Power up, fans are going, but no beep, no POST messages.
Also, holding the power button doesn't switch it off, I have to cut the power at the PSU.

I tried removing the CPU (AMD X2 3800) and it didn't change.

I too have the Corsair TWINX1024-3200C2PT RAM kit, and I didn't try removing that. The only alternative component I have to try is RAM, so I'll whip my Kingston set in later, and let you folks know how I get on.

Thanks for the ideas. I had originally thought that ASUS boards were great, but now I think I'll be going with Abit from now on.

Sybs

Sybs

Sybs

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok, I've tried it outiside the case, and with all sorts of combinations of hardware. No luck.
The only clue is that if I start it up without a PU in it blares over the speakers "No CPU Installed", but it does nothing with the processor in it. This creates the predicament that means it could either be the motherboard or the CPU that's faulty.
Any ideas anyone?

Advertisements

DrMD

DrMD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Sybs - Yes this does seem to be a relatively common problem. Check the bios verson (number printed on the bios chip) and make sure that this version supports the processor that you have (ASUS custumer support or web site). I remember vaguely another post in which someone physically switched the bios chip and his/her problems were solved. Ultimately I went with a board from MSI and the new build POSTed on the first try. Windows loaded no problems, etc.

If you have the resources, you can try your processor in a different system to see if the processor is the problem. I didn't have this resource so I had to have a local computer store help (a well spent $50). This isolated the problem for me. It also let me know that if I did the build with the MSI board that it would ultimately work.

Good luck.

ATG

ATG

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hello all,

This is my 1st time to this site and so far I have come across some really great information.

I am in the proces of building a new pc from the ground up. However after reading this post I am a bit worried about some of the hardware I picked out.

This is what I have picked out so far:

Processor: AMD ATHLON 64 FX57 SAN DIEGO 1GHZ FSB 1MB L2 CACHE 939 PIN
Motherboard: ASUS A8N32-SLI DELUXE
Memory: CORSAIR XMS-3500LL PRO (TW1NX2048-3500LLPRO) TWO 1 GIG CHIPS
Power supply: Not $100 sure about this yet, but might go with something like ENERMAX 600W
Still deciding on the hard dirve, but will probaly be a 10,000 rpm 74gig serial ata 2 Compatible
Monitor: DELL 24INCH FLAT PANLE DESK TOP MAX RES 1900X1200 (is a wide screen)
Case: have not picked one out yet (and recommendations are welcome
Video card:ASUS EN7800GT DUAL 512 7800GT GDDR3 EXPRESS X16 (might run two of these, have not decided)

THAT IS IT FOR NOW

But!!! now I am worried about the mother board I picked out after this post. Granted the one I picked out is a diffrent model than this one, but it is still made by same company. Should I be worried about the mother board I picked out????

Also should I be worried about the memory I picked out as well (which is very expensive memory)???

Are there better power supplies out there (have seen a few post not in favor of the Enermax power supplies)

Plus the video card I have picked out I am not %100 sure about...because some of the reviews have not been great. Should I be worried about the video card....this would be my 1st gforce video card (normaly have always used ATI).

Any feedback on this adventure would help....

Thanks again ATG

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Hello all,

This is my 1st time to this site and so far I have come across some really great information.

I am in the proces of building a new pc from the ground up. However after reading this post I am a bit worried about some of the hardware I picked out.

This is what I have picked out so far:

Processor: AMD ATHLON 64 FX57 SAN DIEGO 1GHZ FSB 1MB L2 CACHE 939 PIN
Motherboard: ASUS A8N32-SLI DELUXE
Memory: CORSAIR XMS-3500LL PRO (TW1NX2048-3500LLPRO) TWO 1 GIG CHIPS
Power supply: Not $100 sure about this yet, but might go with something like ENERMAX 600W
Still deciding on the hard dirve, but will probaly be a 10,000 rpm 74gig serial ata 2 Compatible
Monitor: DELL 24INCH FLAT PANLE DESK TOP MAX RES 1900X1200 (is a wide screen)
Case: have not picked one out yet (and recommendations are welcome
Video card:ASUS EN7800GT DUAL 512 7800GT GDDR3 EXPRESS X16 (might run two of these, have not decided)

THAT IS IT FOR NOW
But!!! now I am worried about the mother board I picked out after this post. Granted the one I picked out is a diffrent model than this one, but it is still made by same company. Should I be worried about the mother board I picked out????

Also should I be worried about the memory I picked out as well (which is very expensive memory)???

Are there better power supplies out there (have seen a few post not in favor of the Enermax power supplies)

Plus the video card I have picked out I am not %100 sure about...because some of the reviews have not been great. Should I be worried about the video card....this would be my 1st gforce video card (normaly have always used ATI).
Any feedback on this adventure would help....

Thanks again ATG

Asus are suppost to be a good company but I have never been a fan for some reason. They are a so-so company. Some of there motherboards are good and some have little problems like everyone is having.

I just stay away from that company when I look for motherboards. The abit A8N would be a better choice than the asus and its usually cheaper. Dfi are great boards but not really for beginners. Msi make good quality boards also. Gigabyte are good as well.

Certain models of boards can have little problems but then the same companies other boards could be great.

You might run across a problem with other companies also and a bios flash can fix the problem.

My opinion, stay away from asus unless you know that a certain motherboard is great by reviews or your friends. :tazz:

ATG

ATG

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Aye I agree about all products have things wrong with them from time to time.

In the past I have normaly always used Gigabyte boards and never really had to much trouble with them. The reason I don't like them is there tec support BLEEP...so wanted to try another type.

I have been hearing a lot of good things about the Abit boards...is there one that is close to the Asus A8N32-sli ??

Update: Well I did jump on newegg and check out some Abit motherboards noticed two that seems to get good reives.

ABIT AN8 SLI ATX AMD
or
ABIT Fatal1ty AN8-SLI ATX AMD

Does any one have any opions on either of these boards???? price diffrence is about $90 or so

Edited by ATG, 02 February 2006 - 12:41 PM.

Sybs

Sybs

• Pip
  • 4 posts
DrMD - The only thing I could spot on the board as a clue of what BIOS I have was a white sticker that said 1009, so that's the latest. There was no 100X number on the BIOS chip, as far as I could see.

Anyhoo, It's set up to be collected by eBuyer for replacement.
Since for this build of my new PC, I've already had to return the damaged case, you might guess that I'm kinda anxious to start using this thing by now, but, oh well.
If it turns out that it's the CPU that's the problem, I won't be a happy chappy.
Anyway, thanks for the help folks, and I'll let you know.