Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Newly Built System wont get through POST - ASUS A8N SLI Premium proble

• Please log in to reply

Sybs

Sybs

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok, got the replacement board.
After several hiccups regarding forgetting to put in P4 power cables (Grr), I got it to, um, NOT boot up.
It was the RAM problem, as mentioned by disko555. I had to put in old RAM, and change the specific 4 timing settings in the BIOS to the ones the Corsair 3200C2PT wanted, and it worked.

The system is not as quick as I'd have thought in windows, but at least it works. Perhaps I need to tweak more BIOS settings. There were about 5 other RAM settings that I can find no clue about how to set.

Advertisements

DrMD

DrMD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Sybs - Congrats - Glad you got it too work. Seems like this fix should be brought to Asus's attentions (your call) since now it's 2 for 2 and from the sounds of it, this fix would have worked on my original build (3/3).

BTW - I'm having video card (I think) problems now (eVGA 7800GT) - It may be software/hardware incompatabilities, but HF2 isn't behaving nearly as good as it should. A topic for another post.

Screwloose

Screwloose

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Do not despair, all may be well. Mej's post had me thinking. I too was experiencing the above mentioned problems, were it not a Sunday night I would have been in touch with the vendor. But, if I was wondering how, if Mej was in the same state as me, he was able to update his Bios. So, I plugged in a Floppy drive and stuck in the only bootable floppy I had, a rescue disk from Partition Magic. Presto, the screen came alive I went into Post. There was an error stating that my CPU fan was too slow or not functioning but that was easilly remedied in Setup by reducing the Fan Speed Threshold. Now all is well and I'm in the process of installing the OS. Good Luck if you're stuck and thanks to Mej.

gino0

gino0

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a A8N-SLI and a pair of XMS memory. i have no chassis speaker so i cant really know whats wrong.

I plug everything in and get no video nor dose the keyboard flashes. Yet the CPU fan spins and the heatsink gets hot.

Dose this occur when i need to chnage the timing in the bios by swaping a pair of cheap memory?

And is there someway of making a pair of ghettoh chassis speaker? i tryed it but i dont think it was correct because it didnt work. Took a pair of tweeters and connected the + and - on the end pins for the speaker pins on the mobo. switch it around and still got nothing

Edited by gino0, 21 April 2006 - 06:08 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You need a speaker for the beep codes unless you want to find errors by shocking yourself. XMS memory i think is someof the stuff that board doesnt like if you have an old stick of memory you might be able to put up and set the bios manually.

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Man, seems like A LOT of people are NOT reading the material that comes with the board. The rig listed in my sig is the FIRST computer I have EVER put togethter from scratch. So that makes me a NOOB! Anyway, because I was a noob to computer building I did research every aspect extensively. Not to mention I READ THE OWNERS MANUAL cover to cover and refrenced it SEVERAL times during my build. My rig fired right up went through everything with NO problems. Luck of the draw you say, I think not. Because if you would've READ THE OWNERS MANUAL you would've found out that not all of the mounting screw openings can be grounded. And if you wouldve READ THE OWNERS MANUAL you wouldve found out that there is a qualified vendors list for ram that is compatible with the board.
Basically, Im just sick of people dogging Asus, its a good company, and they make a quality product. It would appear to me that its the FAULT of the person assembling the system NOT the product. Yes, damage during shipping can happen, a defective product can slip through quality control, in those cases well, s*%# happens. So before you go RMAing a more than likely good product, do me a favor READ THE OWNERS MANUAL. I know its a thick book, dont be lazy just READ THE OWNERS MANUAL.
-P.