Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

system restore help needed

• Please log in to reply

roadside_trash

roadside_trash

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My windows xp pro can not boot into normal or safe mode. I tried booting from a boot disk to run the system restore from the command line. With some exploration I found that it has to be run from a 32 bit mode like safe mode w/ prompt. Since I can't get into that mode, is there a utility or or something on the cd that will let me run the restore? The recovery console from the cd lets me see the restore exe but will not run it.
Please help or if you know of a utility let me know that as well
THANKS

-one final thing, is there a way to back up the info saved in system restore? The thought being I could do a repair install, add my backed up Sys restore info and then from windows restore to an earier point.

amd 2000+ (1.7g)
xp pro SP2
512 ram

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi roadside_trash! Welcome to G2G!

Put your Windows XP cd in and turn on your computer. When you are given the message press any key to boot from cd..., press a key and Windows Setup will start. At the first screen where you have to enter input, hit R to enter the Recovery Console. Then you will have to hit 1 to log into your windows installation and then just hit Enter for the Administrator password because it is normally blank unless you changed it. Once you are at the command prompt C:\WINDOWS I want you to type chkdsk /p /r. This will run a VERY THOROUGH check of both your hard drive and also your windows installation files and replace any that are missing/corrupt. Once it's done, type Exit and take out your Windows XP cd. Your computer will reboot itself.

Fenor

roadside_trash

roadside_trash

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I still have the problem after a repair install and the chkdsk. I may have a REG file somewhere backed up would there be a way to load it without windows? My plan B is to slave it in another system and try to back up the data, then format and reinstall
Please let me know what you think
Thanks

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
This has worked for me in the past. Take the hard drive out of the infected computer and set it up as the master on the second computer's second IDE cable. This is the cable where the CD-ROM/DVD-ROM are attached on the second computer. What I want you to do is disconnect the IDE cable from the CD/DVD roms on the secondary IDE cable of the working computer (Leave one end of the IDE cable still connected to the motherboard, but the other end is connected to nothing). Then connect the hard drive from the none working computer onto that IDE cable. Boot up the working computer and while Windows is booting up it should say that it needs to run a scandisk on the drive, DO NOT INTERRUPT THIS!. Once it is finished, I would copy all your important data from that hard drive to the hard drive on the working computer. It may not be necessary to format the drive, but as long as you have the drive connected already, why not save yourself some time (and grief later if something does possibly happen to the drive and you lose everything on it) and backup your files now. Then put the hard drive back in the other computer and see if you can't get windows to boot up.

Fenor