Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I need some serious help.

• Please log in to reply

besty18

besty18

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
My computer was working fine until today. When it was started up, it went through the start up but stopped at a window that said Windows has some trouble starting up, etc. It gave me a list of options to select: Safe Mode, Safe mode with networking, Safe mode with prompts, start Windows normally, and something about starting with the last successful start-up or something. I tried each option, but when I would select one of them, my computer would just restart on its own and take me back to that window of options. And if I shut the computer off or restarted it, it would just take me back to that window again. My computer will not go past this point. I have absolutely no idea what's happened to it - it worked perfectly fine yesterday and has been wonderful for a quite a while... until today, that is. The operating system on it is XP and I had the XP service pack 2 on it as well. I am not good with computers at all so could somone PLEASE help? I would be so greatful. Everyone is blaming me for "breaking" the computer because I had some songs downloaded on it, but the songs have been on the computer for months. I really would like to get the blame off my shoulders because I didn't do anything to the computer, but everyone keeps accusing me.

PLEASE HELP!

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi besty18!

When you say, 'but when I select one of them, my computer would just restrt on its own....', which option(s) have you tried? I suggest you try using SAFE MODE.

Fenor

besty18

besty18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Fenor - I have tried every single option, including safe mode. When I do that, the computer just restarts on its own and takes me back to the options screen.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Do you have your windows XP CD? If you do, I want you to put it in and turn on your computer. When you are given the message press any key to boot from cd..., press a key and Windows Setup will start. At the first screen where you have to enter input, hit R to enter the Recovery Console. Then you will have to hit 1 to log into your windows installation and then just hit Enter for the Administrator password because it is normally blank unless you changed it. Once you are at the command prompt C:\WINDOWS I want you to type chkdsk /p /r. This will run a VERY THOROUGH check of both your hard drive and also your windows installation files and replace any that are missing/corrupt. Once it's done, type Exit and take out your Windows XP cd. Your computer will reboot itself.

Fenor

besty18

besty18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Okay, I did that and it said "one ore more errors found in volume". What do I do now?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Does the computer completely boot up to the desktop now or is it still continually rebooting?

Fenor

besty18

besty18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
No, it doesn't even get to the desktop. After I did the check with the CD, it rebooted but took me right back to the screen of options.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
What I suggest you do is a REPAIR INSTALLATION of windows, using the link in my signature as a guide. Don't worry, after doing this all your programs will still work and you won't lose any files or settings. All this does is replace your operating system files (C:\WINDOWS). You will need to redo all windows updates after doing this.

Please note that not all OEM Windows XP cd's support this repair option. Please post back if you are unable to do the repair and we will pursue other options.

Fenor