Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

local profile is missing or corrupted (probably corrupted)

• Please log in to reply

culubalo

culubalo

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi everyone :)

Ok its like this, I tried opening an avi file with quicktime and it didnt work, the computer went into a fit and kept on making that sound computers make when they do stuff. ANyway this goes on for a while so I try to find whats doing it by pressing ctrl alt delete and it reveals nothing (quicktime doesn't load the whole time). I get annoyed at waiting after a long time so I try to shut the computer down, but I realize I cant even click on 'start'. I did a hard reset, and logged back in but then BANG there was an error message saying something about corrupt or missling local profile file (or something like that), then something about a temp settings file. Anyway it takes me to the computer desktop were to my dismay everything is gone, my settings have been reset and everything, worse still everything in 'my documents has gone, well not exactly but the computer was giving me a 'temp' document.

I reset the computer and logged in, it gave me the same error, same problem. I logged into another account (my account and the other account are both admin but nothing was lost there *phew*.

Can anyone help me fix this problem? :tazz:

I have windows xp home edition by the way.

<edit>Ok, this is just wierd. I have discovered there is another folder in my C:\Documents and Settings directory who goes by the name of 'John Poulmentis'. erm, I am kind of stunned, no one uses this computer but me and some other people, certainly no 'poulmentis'', it doesnt appear on login screen am I being hacked?

Edited by culubalo, 11 January 2006 - 06:41 AM.

Advertisements