Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Why won't my comp. start?

• Please log in to reply

jorben31

jorben31

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
HI everybody,
I bought an Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-480 BLUE ATX12V 480W Power Supply from newegg.com and an ABIT KN8 Ultra Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard. I'm a first time builder but when i got everything hooked up and start the thing, nothing happens. The PSU was on and hooked up so i don't think it was that. My case has 5 fans though (2x 90mm; 3x 80mm), but i figured that my PSU could power that. So eventually i made my way to www.abit-usa.com and checked the compatibility of PSU w/ the motherboard. The PSU I have was not listed as compatible. But under some reviews at newegg.com, people were running Antec PSU's.
I figure that a PSU should be able to power a 24 pin board since it has a 24pin power connector, but im a noob at building computers so i don't know wat to look for. Does anybody have any idea on whats going on. I'll answer any question u have.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well..the motherboard has a 24 pin power connector right? that's 24 pins in one spot right? the psu is an atx12v...which has 20 pins on one block..and a seperate 4 pin connector.... usually the atx12v psu's go with the same kind of mobo..where there's 20 pin connector on one spot of the board and another 4 port conector somewhere else.... you can get atx12v (ie 20+4) converters that will allow you to use this psu correctly

jorben31

jorben31

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I thought my PSU had a 20/24 pin therefore it was compatible with 20 pin mobos and 24 pin mobos. so wat ur sayin is that i need to get an adapter, then my computer will run???

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok...i just looked at the picture...instead of the specs (sorry)....it does seem to be a 24 pin connector... i also looked at a pic of the mobo..and it's got a 24 pin connector as well..but it's got a 4 pin over there by the processor as well....let me look at this stuff a little closer

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok..i looked at the cable bundle....you need to plug the big power connector onto the board in the right spot....then there is another 4 pin power connector coming out of the block...you need to plug that into that 4 pin connector over near the processor

jorben31

jorben31

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
i did plug a 4 pin power connector into the 4 pin connector near the processor. do u think i have a faulty PSU or matbe one of the jumpers on my mobo is damaged??? the case i have is a Thermaltake XaserV WinGo V7000C Blue Chassis: 1.0 mm SECC, Front Door: Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case it has 5 fans do u think this is taking to much power.
I also have...
7800gt video card
2gb corsair xms memory
maxtor diamondmax 200gb hdd
CD-rewriteable

Edited by jorben31, 11 January 2006 - 09:47 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
let's start from scratch here....take everything out of the case...and set the motherboard on a piece of cardboard...hook up the psu..and the motherboard speaker... and nothing else...(of course the cpu and it's fan should be connected.)..leave the ram out..now try to boot the machine...do you get any beeps?

jorben31

jorben31

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
sorry i will reply back w/ that around 4 or 5 o'clock if that is all right im at work i live in new england so no time difference right??

Edited by jorben31, 11 January 2006 - 10:27 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
right....i leave work around 5 ish...so...i'll put the whole plan here

what i'm wanting you to do is start slowly adding hardware..

by booting the machine with no ram you should get a very long beep...if you don't...either the board isn't working or the speaker isn't

if you do get the beep,

put one piece of ram in and the video card (hook up the monitor).. when you boot...do you see the normal bios boot stuff?
if yes...put the other piece of ram in
do you still get the normal bios stuff?

hook up the hard drive
does it boot up?

continue this process untill you've got everything hooked up...if you get everything hooked up outside of the case..and everything works...then your board is grounding on the case....if you get to a piece of hardware that stops this process.....then stop

jorben31

jorben31

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
thanx dude my computer works now,
YOU ROCK!!!

Edited by jorben31, 11 January 2006 - 06:18 PM.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
yep dsenette ROCKS!

Could you explain what the bad piece was and details so others can learn