Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Firewall Question

• Please log in to reply

boomdog1983

boomdog1983

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
This question concerns the windows firewall. I currently have a desktop and two laptops running on a home network. The laptops are wireless and the desktop is connected via a dsl router with a built-in firewall. The DSL router is a Westell Versalink 327 on the Verizon network. My question: Should I have the windows firewall enabled/on for all three computers or will there be conflicts? :tazz:

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
I like to think of firewalls as locked doors. I have a firewall in my router, use Norton, and use the XP firewall. There are no conflicts on my computers with this arrangement (YMMV). If something wants to get in, it must get past three "locked doors", good luck.

Johanna
(the only infections I get are from small children with runny noses)

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
no, the more firewalls the safer you are but don't think that because you have more firewall protection that you can be carless because it's not that hard to get by firewall noadays it seems. However every little bit helps. So in other words i say put the firewalls on and test it out for a while and if you do have any problems, which i highly doubt just remove one of the firewalls.
thanx
James

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP

no, the more firewalls the safer you are but don't think that because you have more firewall protection that you can be carless because it's not that hard to get by firewall noadays it seems. However every little bit helps. So in other words i say put the firewalls on and test it out for a while and if you do have any problems, which i highly doubt just remove one of the firewalls.
thanx
James

Wow, thats absolutely the worst advice I have ever seen. Multiple firewalls will only serve to conflict things and slow down an internet connection. One firewall, period.

ScHwErV :tazz:

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
sry i ment to edit that :tazz:
Or i should have anyways now looking over what i had placed it truely was the worlds stupidest avice, sry about this

Edited by james_8970, 17 January 2006 - 06:29 PM.