Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First time builder: confused on memory and cpu bus speeds

• Please log in to reply

animefrk

animefrk

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
:tazz: hello thanks for taking time to look at this

ok im planning on building a computer from ground up and am in the process of selecting which memory i want to get but i picked up maxium PC's how to build your dream PC and now im a little confused I dont know what speed ram I need or should get so it doesnt kill my performance. here is components for now not done researching yet.

MOBO: Asus A8V Deluxe 1GHz bus speed K8T800Pro chipset up to 4GB DDR400 ram

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0GHz 512KB L2 cashe

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
If your into gaming alot, get the corsair xms memory. They have lower timings which is good for gamers and overclockers both.

Corsair is the #1 leader in memory.

Get pc 3200 memory 1gb is ok for everygame but 2gb would be most efficient.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Ild also try another mobo, either an nfore4 or a ati200 mobo. Also might want to try looking at something other than Asus, Abit and MSI both make better and usually cheaper boards.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Abit are good boards and I like them but sometimes when you get one you have to flash it right away to the latest bios.

animefrk

animefrk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
:tazz: OY so many boards, so many decisions but.....no heart attack on prices and i took your advice( thanks btw) and went and looked at ABIT mobos and found two of i liked the fragility board was nice and but had to much on so i went for its cheaper clone the ABIT AN8 SLI mobo in stead. one more thing i am reseaching in phases and came acroos vid card dilema i found the ATI Radeon x1300 video card but worried about powwer consumption since min spec for it is 350w. would a 500w PSU be enough for it? and can someone dumb down the RAID config pls and tell what it would be best for?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well 500W is a bigger number than 350W so its safe bet with 150W of excess power it will be fine, also you generally dont get SLI and then get a ATI gfx card you can but the SLI is wasted as you cant use it, but minf you most of the time SLI is wasted no matter what card you buy.

Just make sure you get a quality PSU not a generic, if its cheap there is usually a good reason for that.

You shouldnt need a RAID its a way of configuring multiple SATA hard drives to enable a more efficeint method of operation however there are various options none of them are really worth it.