Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Invalid Control Panel Icon - How Can I Remove This?

• Please log in to reply

JerryHobby

JerryHobby

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have one control panel icon with no name and only shows the standard windows icon. I have no idea where it is or how to get rid of it. I have attached a screenshot of my control panel and the results of my search for *.CPL files. I could only figure out how to do this with images. Hopefully this is acceptable.

Thanks,
Jerry

cpanel.png

searchcpl.png

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Hi Jerry, this might sound a bit odd, but close control panel and go to
c:\windows\system32

sort the column on file type, and then MOVE all the *.cpl files from the directory to a temp directory on your desktop.

Open control panel--it should be empty. Close control panel

Now, MOVE 5 back, open control panel, paying attention to the ones you moved in.

Continue this way until you move five back and it reveals the extra icon, then move each of the last five out one at a time until it disappears...that will be the culprit.

Report back the name of the cpl file and we can try to figure out what it is meant to do

JerryHobby

JerryHobby

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I did it and narrowed it down to the bluetooth icon, btcpl.cpl

I do have a USB bluetooth device and I use it successfully. This must have somehow gotten disconnected from the driver. I hate to uninstall and reinstall the driver because it took several tries to get it working in the first place. I guess I could just live without the icon ... unless you have ideas on how to fix it without reinstalling the driver.