Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Strange thing that suppresses random reboots

• Please log in to reply

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Hi fellas, I know some of you might be sick of me posting my random reboots problem here all the time (especially Fenor and dsenette, thanx for your guys' patience).

But just when I thought I'd give up, my mate discovered something.

K, he uses this video chatting program on the same PC and for the past week although there were numerous random reboots but it never affected him while he was running the video chatting program. He jokingly said to me that "the computer must like my program".

I didn't take it seriously at first until he forgot to unplug the USB Camera (a dinosaur-aged Microtek Take-it 350) and the computer didn't shut down for the whole afternoon. So I decided I'd wait and see.

Left the computer on before I went to bed last night, got up this morning, checked the computer, it's on! Hasn't rebooted itself! That hasn't happened for at least the past week.

Strange isn't it? Could someone explain it? I mean the webcam is connected to a USB extension cord coming from the back of the computer and by leaving the camera plugged in it's been suppressing the PC's random reboots? Does that make logical sense?

Thanks so much guys~

PS - Gonna be a busy day today but will check replies this afternoon, cheers.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
so if you leave the camera hooked up it stays up?

sounds like there may be a driver issue with that camera...or maybe an issue with the usb cable....it may be worth a shot to either reinstall the camera or update it's drivers/software....though....if leaving the thing in keeps the machine up....if you don't wanna chance it....leave well enough alone