Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WMP Question(s)

• Please log in to reply

straz

straz

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I've figured out how to use WMP 10 to "rip" cdas to my HD, either as WMF or MP3. (~the two types offered under "Options" etc... pulldown).

I convert cds to WMF & then download the WMFs to my Samsung YP-T7 MP3 player without a hitch, the process is flawless & smooth.

Trouble I'm experiencing is burning MP3 files to a CDROM.
I managed to stumble through *half* the procedure, ie, ripping the cda material to HD as MP3s which appears to go "OK".
But it's apparent I've omitted something critical leading to the result I get trying to burn.

The result: Under "Burn" I click & drag the desired files [read: songs] to the "Burn" window on the right.
(Now I'm under the impression one *should* be able to fit [over?] 150 songs into the que to be burned to disc, using MP3 as opposed to standard cda.)
After loading the equivalent (cda format) of *one* 80 min CD-R I'd previously converted to MP3 everything else placed in the burn box is hi-lited (yellow) with a warning [the] additional material will not fit.
It's as if the material were still in a cda format never converted, in spite of WMP saying [it] is a MP3.

Obviously I'm missing something, question is *what*??

Somewhat frustrating as I've no one I may turn to who's seasoned using the process, so I'm on my own.
TIA for any advise/instruction.
-straz

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You need to make a Data CD in order to burn an MP3 file to a disc.

Don't select Audio CD, otherwise Nero (assuming you're using Nero) will try to convert the MP3s to audio tracks which will probably push it over 80mins in length.

straz

straz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
[quote name='Neil Jones' date='Jan 11 2006, 05:02 PM' post='521213']
You need to make a Data CD in order to burn an MP3 file to a disc.[quote]

Let me see if I've this straight, Neil.
I've been ripping my CD-Rs to my HD *as* MP3s, hoping I could then burn the MP3s to CD-R.

You're saying I must "make" a "data CD", before I attempt to burn the MP3s from my HD??
How's one go about doing [that]?

[quote name='Neil Jones' date='Jan 11 2006, 05:02 PM' post='521213']
Don't select Audio CD, otherwise Nero (assuming you're using Nero) will try to convert the MP3s to audio tracks which will probably push it over 80mins in length.[/quote]

I wished I were working with Nero, instead I'm stuck with Roxio's EZCD Creator.
If there's a poorer written, buggier & simply lousier piece of software on the market than that which Roxio tricked people like me into buying, I'd like to know what it is.

Be that as it may, since I cannot use Roxio I've been attempting to use the Windows Media Player 10 that came with the SP2 when I upgraded my XP.
So it's WMP I'm dealing with, now.
OK?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Even roxio will burn MP3's as data files to a CD. I don't use roxio because Nero is real cheap to buy off Ebay. I have had to use roxio that is on customer puters to back up data for them. Read up in the help files on how to change the format from cda to data when you are setting up to burn a cd. I did kinda like roxios drag and drop interface the few times i have had to use it. I would not use the built-in burner that comes with XP. WMP uses that burner software and its even worse than roxio. Your system may have the built in burner software disabled because you have roxio on the puter, if the puter came with roxio already installed. If so then WMP is using roxio to burn and it is set to burn all music as cda files.

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 12 January 2006 - 05:53 PM.

straz

straz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I would not use the built-in burner that comes with XP. WMP uses that burner software and its even worse than roxio.

:)
Worse than Roxio?
Hard to believe Redmond c/would produce something as disgraceful, incompetent as the Roxio product.
Then again there is *Windows*... :)

Your system may have the built in burner software disabled because you have roxio on the puter, if the puter came with roxio already installed. If so then WMP is using roxio to burn and it is set to burn all music as cda files. SRX660

An excellent observation, my friend. :tazz:
I'll have to look [closer] into that possibility.

In the meantime perhaps I'll dig deeper into the Roxio Help files to see if the inept product might still be coaxed into working.

Thank you kindly for your insight(s),
-straz