Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE Not Responding

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

docgoblin

docgoblin

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
I just cleaned out a friend's computer which was infected with the SpyAxe Trojan. The cleanup went well and all scans (Spybot and Ad-Aware) are fine. The problem now is that on only one out of the three profiles IE stops responding as soon as you try to access any web page from it. IE runs fine from the two other profiles, which baffles me all the more. Mozilla runs fine from all three users accounts. I do notice that in the Running Processes that LSASS.EXE is using quite a bit of the cpu (around 30%) whenever I try do do anything from IE in the affected user's profile.

This is a Dell Factory system so there is no Windows disk with it. I tried repairing the 1e.inf file using my Win XP Pro disk but it's not SP2 as this system was when purchased.

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

PS:

I did all possible Windows updates hoping there would be some kind of IE6 fix in there, but it is still not working properly.

Edited by docgoblin, 11 January 2006 - 05:04 PM.

Advertisements

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
H Docgoblin!! Welcome to Geeks to go!!!!!!!

what most likely happend is that you delted part (or all) of the profile you are trying to load during your clean up of the system. We are extremely carful here not to delete those. luckley (hopefully) you have system restore, as long as you didnt disable it you should be able to retireve the profile. unfortunely this may also bring back the malware. which you whould then have to delete, ( with the help of one of are malware techs, hopefully) and then get that under control. REMEMBER, just because you ran spybot and ad-aware dosent mean you are malware free, each one of those programs has places it dosent scan.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
What likely happened is that you cleaned one of the profiles, but the others are still dirty.

Oh, Spybot and Adaware can do nothing with spyaxe, its removal is well beyond their capabilities.

You will need to post a HJT log in the malware removal forum to recieve help with this.

ScHwErV :tazz: