Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Got me baffled (network problem)

• Please log in to reply

FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I am using a Buffalo WHR HP G54 Smart router to connect my laptop and desktop to each other and the internet.
Both computers can connect to the internet no worries. However when I try to view my network places on either PC it only shows the pc I'm exploring.

This is the problem I've been struggling with (for struggling read borderline manic). Today on a whim I tried connecting my laptop to the router through it's ethernet port rather than the wireless adapter......and *POW* I can browse my other PC and mao network drives....the lot. Unplug the ethernet cable...and nothing .... connection lost again.
This is the case with the DHCP on or off. I'm using NIS (but the fact that I can connect with the ethernet would suggest it isn't that.)

I'm out of clues.....so if anyone else has one I'd appreciate it if you could share.

Cheers in advance,

FG.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The only suggestion I can offer up to you is that you're not connecting to your own wireless network. Connecting wirelessly shouldn't make any difference as opposed to wired.

The behaviour which you describe would be typical if you had (accidentally or otherwise) logged onto an insecure wireless network which has its computers under a different workgroup, as then you'd only see your shared stuff.

The other thing I could suggest is that there's a software firewall (ZoneAlarm, Sygate or whatever) that is blocking Local Area Network requests on the computer you're currently dealing with.

FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
If only life were that simple...I'm definetly connected to my router (SSID and security key confirm it), and the only firewalls I have are norton internet security on both. Even when disabled still no connection. Also it'd block the ethernet connection aswell if it were that.....I'm struggling. Cheers your time though.

FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Update -

I've run Look@LAN tool on my two connections and the only diffrences I can see is that my wireless connection is that the wireless connection is using the following service:

25 smtp Simple Mail Transfer
110 pop-3 PostOffice V.3
135 loc-srv NCS local location broker
139 netbios-ssn NETBIOS Session Service
445 microsoft-ds -

But the ethernet connection is using exactly the same except for the 445 microsoft-ds service.....anyone know what this service is, what it does or if it'd do any harm shutting it down?

Cheers again.

FG.

FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I've just noticed one more thing.....the wireless host name is AdMob (Same as the computername) but the ethernet is showing AdMob.ADHOME the comp name plus the workgroup id. Anyone know how i'd set up the wireless to broadcast the workgroup as part of it's hostname?

Getting closer :S

FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
OK, I've managed to get the wireless connection to broadcast it's workgroup as part of it's host name.....but still no joy. It seems like my router is stripping it out as when I run Look@LAN on my desktop it doesn't see it :S I've not got a clue whats going on anymore....might just re-install windows on everytjing, even if it doesn't fix it at least I'll feel better......