Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply

Ben Zing

Ben Zing

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
i'm trying to follow along to some of the Spystrike/anna - whatever virus removal threads.

I've got some issues with SAFE MODE:

i can start in safemode, no problem.
But i don't get any desk top.

I can open programs from the task manager, but i can't access CONTROL PANEL, and that is one of the steps i keep reading about.
Any suggestions? Should I be getting a desktop in safemode?

Can i access internet from safemode?

Advertisements

MR0624

MR0624

• PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
unfortunatly, i only have one of your answers..that would be tha
t yes you can access the net from safe mode.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can access the internet using safe mode with networking

Open task manager, click file, new task, type explorer.exe and press enter to see if you get the desktop

If not, either use task manager or click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files

Dontais

Dontais

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
If your useing windows xp in taskmanager>file > new task (run) type in "control" with out the " , and should bring up cp. I agree with keith tho for the safemode with networking tho.

Edited by Dontais, 11 January 2006 - 05:42 PM.

Ben Zing

Ben Zing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
with networking...
i took a guess at that and it worked.

hopefully now i can get down to solving the bigger problem.

thanks

tlinks

tlinks

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
It seems like a lot of people are having this problem. I was one. I kept loading up safe mode and it was blank time and time again.

In safe mode run task manager through control - alt - delete and then file -> run . Type in explorer.exe and hit enter. Eventually the icons will come up but you have to be quick and you might have to repeat a few times to get them to come up. Find what you need and run that program. Folders will close quickly but programs will stay running as long as you have them up. Good luck

tlinks

Edited by tlinks, 11 January 2006 - 09:39 PM.