Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

backup software speed

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I backup regularly and, to be extra conservative, I have used both Norton Ghost and BackupMyPC for the last few years. I alternate every week or so to do a full system backup to an external drive.

Norton Ghost 10 takes about an hour to do a backup -- and verification -- of my 80 gigs or so of files on my C drive; BUMP (version 6) takes about 10 hours to do the same.

It's getting harder to justify using BUMP, even though ceasing to will mean putting all of my eggs in one basket.

Why does BUMP take so long and, if you could only use one, which one would you feel safer with?

[AMD AthlonXP 2800, 1 gig RAM, 240 gigs of 7200 rpm HD, regularly defragmented]