Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Browser based programming questions

• Please log in to reply

Hello_Moto

Hello_Moto

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi folks,

I'm about to start making a wee browser based program, that a user will input data into a form and the submit and it will then generate an output along the lines of a Family Tree. Am I best using a combination of HTML/PHP/Javascript to do this or just HTML/PHP ??

I'm hoping eventually to incorporate a MySQL db so that results can be stored in the db for retrieval at a later date in the future.

How would I go about producing the output in a family tree style ? Would that be quite easy ?? I'm sort of stuck on that point !!

Also, is it quite easy to produce the output in a .pdf format so that it's easily e-mailed or printed out ?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me a little ! :tazz:

H_M

Advertisements

GameMakerThomas

GameMakerThomas

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
PHP would be fine, we need a little more info about the actual tree part, do they put in their name and it figures out the relatives or do they fill that in?

Hello_Moto

Hello_Moto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

They would enter the details in themselves, would only go back as far as Great-Grandparents so wouldn't really be that big.

Didn't know whether or not if PHP would draw the lines on between the names in a 'tree' style or if it would have to be done in a table ?

Thanks

- H_M

GameMakerThomas

GameMakerThomas

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Well technically you could generate the lines in PHP. However that would be a ton of work and I don;t know your skill level.

Hello_Moto

Hello_Moto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Again, thanks very much for your reply.

So that would take a lot of work then !? Guess I will just need to give up on that idea ! I've only really been learning PHP and now that I've been through a load of on-line tutorials and a few books I thought it would be a good idea to have a small project to work on.

Thanks

H_M

GameMakerThomas

GameMakerThomas

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
You should learn about PHP's ability to make images - that would help.