Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Having trouble running any on line scans

• Please log in to reply

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Any help is always welcomed. :tazz:

I removed Norton SystemWorks 2001, using the guidelines at their site. Then installed AVG, Spybot, and spyware blaster. Updated at the Windows website. Went to Panda's site to do an on line scan. It did it, once. Found several spyware, which I deleted and a couple of viruses, panda took care of.

After a while, I did a disk cleanup and defrag. Went back to panda for a final check, I got a warning that the activeX is blocked. IT could not do a scan. This is where I'm confused. Tried to go to PCpitstop, same thing. At Housecall, the same.

Some points

It's a COMPAQ 5000, 600 MHz, 256 MB RAM, 15 gig HD (2 gig used).
Starting and shutting down is smooth.
Opening Firefox is fine, but Internet Explorer is slow.

If you need a hijackthis log up, let me know. Using another computer to write this.

Thanks in advance

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then control panel, click network and internet, internet options, on the general tab, click dlete cookies, click delete files and tick to include offline content, click clear history. On the security and privacy tabs, click default settings, on the programmes tab, click reset web settings, on the advanced tab click restore defaults, click apply on each tab.

Try Panda

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Thanks Keith

Sounds like alot of clicking, but gonna give it a go. :tazz:

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Thanks again Keith

Just got back and it's working fine now. Have no idea how any of that got messed up, didn't even looked there.

Glad that you have the expertise on these things.

Have a good week and thanks a million :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know