Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading to XP Pro problems

• Please log in to reply

silver1

silver1

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I purchased a copy of XP Pro with service pack 2 to upgrade my laptop w/home edition and every time the set up gets to "installing devices" and the clock says 34 mins. remaining, the laptop freezes and i have to reboot. I tried to reboot with cd inside and out to exit set up and the laptop doesn't let me. In other words, i can not exit set up to go back to my home edition or start the upgrade all over again.
Please help.............

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
reboot the computer and get into the bios set up (that's usually done by pressing either del or f2 right at the beginning of the boot process) set the boot order to cd first hd second...then make sure the cd is in...and boot the computer...there should now be something saying to press any key to boot from cd...