Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

media player 10 won't close!

• Please log in to reply

covertcycle

covertcycle

• Pip
  • 8 posts
so ive had this problem for a few weeks now (not sure exactly when it started) with windows media player 10. i run any file, .avi, .mp3, .wma, anything, and while its playing, i click the red X to close the program as usual, but now media player seems to close, but the media keeps playing. the player is no longer anywhere on the desktop, or start menu or the bar at the bottom right (by the clock). i open the player again, and its basically like i never closed it at all. i click stop, then close the player, but then pull up the task manager, and the media player process is still running in the background. all i want is for media player to close on exit!! any help would be greatly appreciated!!

system info:
celeron d 2.66 ghz
1024 mb ram
gforce mx 4000 128 mb video card
windows xp home with sp2,
with all current updates

Advertisements

covertcycle

covertcycle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
still having the issue, anyone have ANY suggestions at all?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Use add remove to uninstall / roll back media player, run disc clean up, run disc defragmenter, check how media player 9 does

Download, install and run Tune Up 2006 Trial

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete.

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Click optimize and improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Re-install Media Player 10

http://www.filehippo...s_media_player/

monroeben

monroeben

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I stumbled across the cause this morning why my WMP 10 is doing this to me.

I have a HP iPAQ connected and am using ActiveSync 4.1. As long as my PocketPC is connected, (and ActiveSync knows it) WMP will not close completely. The GUI will disappear but the actual program keeps running in the background. Disconnect the PPC and it shuts down.

Hope this helps.

Benny

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know

Crazytree

Crazytree

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Exact same problem.

Exact same solution.

When I disconnect my Treo 700w WMP10 behaves completely normally. This appears to be some sort of synching problem.

covertcycle

covertcycle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I still have the problem, and I do not have any external perhiprial connected. i have nothing to sychronize to and still the only way to end wmp 10 on my system is to end the process manually in the task manager.

Crazytree

Crazytree

• Pip
  • 4 posts
found one solution:

went into my sync prefs and removed Windows Media Player. I will just put my stuff in manually.