Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

internet connection

• Please log in to reply

pontiuss

pontiuss

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
i have a netgear wireless router and i have internet access WITHOUT connecting through my isp AOL how is this possable and am i being charged by someone else ?

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi pontiuss,

You're probably connecting to some one elses unsecured network (in your neighbourhood), and leeching off of their internet connection. So, no - you're not being charged for this. However, this is the same as stealing, so therefore I would highly recommend you attempt to remedy this and connect to your own network.

pontiuss

pontiuss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
thanks for the reply i did wonder if that was happening, but when i configered my router i gave my network a specific name as recomended to do, and scaned for that name when looking for local networks available to connect to, so making it easy to recognise my own router , could i have got somethink wrong and still be " leaching someone else's network ?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
is your actual broadband account provided by AOL..or did you have to get a broadband connection from somewhere else then have aol take it over?

pontiuss

pontiuss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
this is my actual broadband account provided by AOL.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...alot of times (and probably still in this case) aol doesn't actually provide the broadband connection. I.E. they don't own the phone line (if it's dsl) or the cable line (if it's...well duh cable)...they aquire the line through a local providor...and have you run your account over this line...my assumption...based on your description...is that you are indeed using your connection...and you are paying for it...but since the native connection isn't truly with AOL...you can connect without the aol client (especially since you're accessing the connection wirelessly) so...in short..i wouldn't worry too much about it...but...to be sure...if you establish a wirless connection...and fire up the aol stuff...does it still connect?

pontiuss

pontiuss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
yes aol does still fire up after getting a wirless connection, thanks for your explanation i thought that could be what was happening but was not sure as this wirless router stuff is all a bit new to me. AOL did tell me if i wanted to have more than one pc online at a time i needed to upgrade from there silver to gold package as silver doesn't support home networking. could you tell me if this is true. thanks pontiuss.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yes that is legally true....you should legally buy the bigger package...

pontiuss

pontiuss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
thanks for all your help you've been fantastic. pontiuss