Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

win 98 se-i want to add new hdd to an old computer

• Please log in to reply

theicaruscomplex

theicaruscomplex

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
i know it will only read 40 to 80 gb... but i think there is a way to fix this, vie some software maybe..? can you help me with this. i m talking about a pentium 3 and windows 98 se

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Nope they stopped supporting Win98 before the large drives came into operation as far as i know, i dont work with 98 SE though so maybe somenone knows a fix, i think on the Os side you could try asking in the forum for the older windows. HDD as long as it is a supported speed youre gonna have to look up what mobo you have and then what speed of drive it can take.

theicaruscomplex

theicaruscomplex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
i know it will only read 40 to 80 gb... but i think there is a way to fix this, vie some software maybe..? can you help me with this. i m talking about a pentium 3 and windows 98 se. (i asked in the hardware forum and they told me to ask here in case someone knows)

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Windows 98 will happily read any size drive you throw at it, though limitations in certain areas means that it may look confusing. One has to remember that 98SE came out at a time when the biggest hard disk going was no bigger than about 10-15Gb so it'll look as if it can't cope with huge drives but the reality is it can.

Or alternatively you may be thinking about the 32Gb cap limit which means that your board doesn't understand drives bigger than 32Gb. Most Pentium 3 boards don't have this limit (there are exceptions) so if the board knows that it's looking at a 60Gb drive (for example), Windows will see a 60Gb drive.

theicaruscomplex

theicaruscomplex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
but if i put 200gb i don t think it will be able to read more than 80 gb or so... but i have the impression that there is software to fix this

"it'll look as if it can't cope with huge drives but the reality is it can" ... do you mean it might show that a hdd is let s say 80gb, but it will be able to store 200 in it or something?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
In theory, Windows 98 SE can, thanks to the introduction of FAT32, support a hard drive of up to 2 Terabytes, basically 2048 Gigabytes.

In reality, having just had a quick Google, it appears that you're only going to be able to push it up to 137Gb maximum, because after that it needs support that you'll only find in the fifth generation of Windows - ie Windows 2000, XP and Vista, and in any case your motherboard won't understand the drive bigger than 137Gb anyway.